Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
AdrianCrunkhurn
    Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:44 pm

So we've got this old Migatronic MTE 220 Dialog transformer AC/DC machine at work, and when ever i go to start the arc, it spends a couple seconds just kind of fizzing around before the arc will actually initiate. It doesn't matter what consumables I have in the torch, what size tungsten I use, what grind I put on the tungsten (scratches run straight/parallel with the tungsten), what amps I use, I can ground direct to the part and it will still do it, keeping the tungsten close as possible to the work. It has to be something inside the machine that is faulty or failing, I'm just after a bit of advice on where to start looking, or something i can tell my boss, so he can send it off to get looked at. Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated as it is driving me up the wall. Video clip can been seen on Youtube here https://youtu.be/lDBQnVJdLmM. Thanks
Lightning
    Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:55 pm

Just a wild guess, but have you checked/cleaned/gapped the HF points, assuming it has them?
Aaronmnwelder
    Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:23 am

I would definitely check points had this issue occasionally on a old Miller syncrowave I used to weld with. Also not familiar with that machine is there a start amps knob on there? If your start amps are set way low that can also cause poor arc starts.
AdrianCrunkhurn
    Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:44 pm

I managed to find and adjust the arc points, didn't help. I've told my boss now and hes going to get it sent off to get looked at. If it does get sorted and they tell me what it was ill post it on here, maybe it will help someone in the future. On a side note I was using it on AC today and noticed the arc was really unstable, stuttering like crazy, actually made it quite dificult to weld with.