Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

oburrill wrote:I was going to use ER70-S2 tig filler rod.
Perfect choice.
jwmelvin
    Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:48 pm

Can someone help me understand why this is better welder than Al-Bronze brazed? It doesn’t seem to need the strength of weld and also seems sensitive to distortion.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

jwmelvin wrote:Can someone help me understand why this is better welder than Al-Bronze brazed? It doesn’t seem to need the strength of weld and also seems sensitive to distortion.
Just because you can use something, doesn't mean you should. The thickness of the material is very close to 0.063, which is plenty thick to tolerate welding. While the internal operating pressures may be low, there's little reason to expect that to be nil. Welding is always the best option when possible as it recreates a solid piece of metal. And welding thin material is a perfectly acceptable and common practice.

Sure, he needs to be mindful of distortion, but that is true any time you weld material, regardless of the thickness. And 0.063 is not so darn thin it can't be welded safely. A 1/16th wire and about 50 amps, and he should get great fusion, a tight bead, and a leak-proof repair. Why fuss with anything else?