It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:13 am Advanced search

Current control

Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process

Current control

Postby 7b_w » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:56 pm

My question is about current control using a foot pedal and the control that is on the face of the Tig welding machine.

When using the front panel control is that setting a max limit for the foot pedal control? Or does the foot pedal override the
front panel adjust control and lets you adjust current using the foot pedal from minimum to max of the welding machine?
7b_w
New Member
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:48 pm

Re: Current control

Postby LtBadd » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:58 am

7b_w wrote:My question is about current control using a foot pedal and the control that is on the face of the Tig welding machine.

When using the front panel control is that setting a max limit for the foot pedal control? Or does the foot pedal override the
front panel adjust control and lets you adjust current using the foot pedal from minimum to max of the welding machine?

The panel sets the max limit for the foot pedal
Richard

Insert witty, sarcastic, or philosophical remark here.
User avatar
LtBadd
Weldmonger
 
Posts: 1475
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:00 pm
Location: Clearwater FL

Re: Current control

Postby motox » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:40 am

the peddle has the same amount of movement regardless
of your setting but setting it close to the max point needed
will allow you more control on the peddle.
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
motox
Weldmonger
 
Posts: 1355
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm
Location: Delaware

Re: Current control

Postby ljdm1956 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:31 pm

Not true for all machines. On my Everlast Powerultra 200p, if you set the rocker switch to pedal, instead of panel, it doesn't matter what the panel knob is set at, the pedal has full range of amps. I've read that most machines don't do that, just giving an example of one that does behave that way. My work-around was to either put a pot on the pedal, or as I did, I fabbed a mechanical adjustable stop to limit travel of the pedal which gave me a max amps with the pedal. I am kinda foot heavy with the pedal, had a hard time using pedal travel to limit max amps.
ljdm1956
Active Member
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:29 pm

Re: Current control

Postby motox » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:11 pm

sorry, don't know how thru do things in china.....
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
motox
Weldmonger
 
Posts: 1355
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm
Location: Delaware

Re: Current control

Postby ljdm1956 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:38 pm

ljdm1956 wrote:Not true for all machines. On my Everlast Powerultra 200p, if you set the rocker switch to pedal, instead of panel, it doesn't matter what the panel knob is set at, the pedal has full range of amps. I've read that most machines don't do that, just giving an example of one that does behave that way. My work-around was to either put a pot on the pedal, or as I did, I fabbed a mechanical adjustable stop to limit travel of the pedal which gave me a max amps with the pedal. I am kinda foot heavy with the pedal, had a hard time using pedal travel to limit max amps.

Here's my prototype of the mechanical stop for the pedal, will send pic of finished product, it works well though.
Attachments
tig stop.jpg
tig stop.jpg (70.01 KiB) Viewed 122 times
ljdm1956
Active Member
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:29 pm

Re: Current control

Postby ljdm1956 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:41 pm

motox wrote:sorry, don't know how thru do things in china.....
craig

Not quite sure what you mean...... but sometimes we have to figure out ways to work with what we have
ljdm1956
Active Member
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:29 pm


Return to Tig Welding - Tig Welding Aluminum - Tig Welding Techniques - Aluminum Tig Welding