Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Panchdara
    Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:22 am

I can completely appreciate the solid advice on grinding a tungsten electrode. That advice being to use a dedicated grind wheel for the sole purpose of tungsten grinding. My question is in respect of that dedicated grind wheel.

Using different types of electrodes, ceriated, lantanated, thoriated ... can one use the same grind wheel for all types, or should one use a separate wheel for each individual type of electrode?

Regards
Hugh
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

The same wheel for any tungsten is fine. Diamond wheels are best, but most expensive. The green silicon carbide is a great choice too, but they are soft and will groove up if you don’t rotate your tungsten across the surface (chuck it up in a drill, spin slowly, and slide across the width of the wheel while it’s spinning). I follow up with a red scotchbrite pad to polish it afterwards.
Panchdara

Thanks CJ. Noted: diamond wheel and scotchbrite. I have 2 small bench grinders and will put 2 diamond wheels (120 and 600) on one and dedicate it for the purpose. These wheels from eBay and less than $10 for the pair :shock: :oops: ... we'll see how good they are.
PS... Happy New Year to all

Best
Hugh

Panchdara wrote:Thanks CJ. Noted: diamond wheel and scotchbrite. I have 2 small bench grinders and will put 2 diamond wheels (120 and 600) on one and dedicate it for the purpose. These wheels from eBay and less than $10 for the pair :shock: :oops: ... we'll see how good they are.
PS... Happy New Year to all

Best
Hugh
Hello Hugh
if you don't mind please post a link to the diamond wheels you found on ebay, thanks
Richard
Website
Panchdara

Hi Richard... here's my first approach - I did order these.... proof is in the grinding! I also ordered a 600... not sure where that one is ending up yet?

Best

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3x-6-Inch-Di ... 2527805572
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Panchdara wrote:Hi Richard... here's my first approach - I did order these.... proof is in the grinding! I also ordered a 600... not sure where that one is ending up yet?

Best

Those are flap discs, not bench grinding wheels. You want something like this actually (unless you intend to use your angle grinder to sharpen your tungsten?

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/Abr ... 4288105137

Panchdara wrote:Hi Richard... here's my first approach - I did order these.... proof is in the grinding! I also ordered a 600... not sure where that one is ending up yet?

Best

I bought a flat disc like that and added it to the side of my bench grinder, it works but the angle is sometimes awkward.
20180101_182435.jpg
20180101_182435.jpg (89.82 KiB) Viewed 1450 times
However I found THIS and am thinking I might try one.
Richard
Website
Graveyard
    Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:31 am

I used to grind tungsten on a grinder for years and I purchased a tungsten grinder about 6 months ago. Worth every penny. Spent a little over $200 on it so it’s a low end model but the time it saves and perfect tip every time makes it worth it. Just my 2 cents.

Graveyard wrote:I used to grind tungsten on a grinder for years and I purchased a tungsten grinder about 6 months ago. Worth every penny. Spent a little over $200 on it so it’s a low end model but the time it saves and perfect tip every time makes it worth it. Just my 2 cents.
Which grinder did you buy?
Richard
Website
Graveyard
    Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:31 am

LtBadd wrote:
Graveyard wrote:I used to grind tungsten on a grinder for years and I purchased a tungsten grinder about 6 months ago. Worth every penny. Spent a little over $200 on it so it’s a low end model but the time it saves and perfect tip every time makes it worth it. Just my 2 cents.
Which grinder did you buy?
It is a standard Tech South tungsten grinder. I know some aren’t impressed with them but I’ve had a lot of success with mine and use it almost daily.
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

LtBadd wrote:

Best

I bought a flat disc like that and added it to the side of my bench grinder, it works but the angle is sometimes awkward.
20180101_182435.jpg
However I found THIS and am thinking I might try one.
I bought one of those flat disk too. You're right; the angle is weird and I don't get parallel groves to the point of the tungsten. So I went back to my Harbor Freight 3" bench grinder with a diamond blade on it. Works really well.
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737

tungstendipper wrote: I bought one of those flat disk too. You're right; the angle is weird and I don't get parallel groves to the point of the tungsten. So I went back to my Harbor Freight 3" bench grinder with a diamond blade on it. Works really well.
Are you referring to a 3" wheel with a diamond face? What grit do you use?
Richard
Website
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

LtBadd wrote:
tungstendipper wrote: I bought one of those flat disk too. You're right; the angle is weird and I don't get parallel groves to the point of the tungsten. So I went back to my Harbor Freight 3" bench grinder with a diamond blade on it. Works really well.
Are you referring to a 3" wheel with a diamond face? What grit do you use?
Here's my set-up I had to drill out the wheels to fit the grinder. Grit? Don't know doesn't say.
The wheels are only 10 bucks.
Attachments
IMG_5032.JPG
IMG_5032.JPG (122.83 KiB) Viewed 1104 times
IMG_5031.JPG
IMG_5031.JPG (77.21 KiB) Viewed 1104 times
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737

Got it, thanks for the pics
Richard
Website
Lightning
    Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:55 pm

I rigged up a dedicated grinder using a HFT bench grinder and cabbing (diamond) wheels from Rocklady on ebay, but rarely use it anymore.

For my purposes, I find that just using a 4" angle grinder works fine. I turn it on, set it on the floor, hold it from moving with my feet, and spin the tungstens against the wheel by hand. I don't see all that much difference from the dedicated grinder, and mine goes to I think 800 grit.

If you're trying to TIG on a budget, I think this is one place to save some dough. I definitely can't see spending $$$$ on a tungsten grinder. Maybe if I was tigging unobtainium for NASA, but I'm not...
    Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:48 pm

I found a Liquid Gold grinder used about ten years ago for a pretty good price, I had to get a new diamond wheel and a few other parts to make it right but it does work good. Not so sure I would spend the money to buy one brand new as they are proud as He!! of those things.

Pete

Esab SVI 300, Mig 4HD wire feeder, 30A spool gun, Miller Passport, Dynasty 300 DX, Coolmate 4, Spectrum 2050, C&K Cold Wire feeder WF-3, Black Gold Tungsten Sharperner, Prime Weld 225