Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

LtBadd wrote:
Panchdara wrote:Hi Richard... here's my first approach - I did order these.... proof is in the grinding! I also ordered a 600... not sure where that one is ending up yet?

Best

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3x-6-Inch-Di ... 2527805572
I bought a flat disc like that and added it to the side of my bench grinder, it works but the angle is sometimes awkward.
20180101_182435.jpg
However I found THIS and am thinking I might try one.
I bought one of those flat disk too. You're right; the angle is weird and I don't get parallel groves to the point of the tungsten. So I went back to my Harbor Freight 3" bench grinder with a diamond blade on it. Works really well.
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737

tungstendipper wrote: I bought one of those flat disk too. You're right; the angle is weird and I don't get parallel groves to the point of the tungsten. So I went back to my Harbor Freight 3" bench grinder with a diamond blade on it. Works really well.
Are you referring to a 3" wheel with a diamond face? What grit do you use?
Richard
Website
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

LtBadd wrote:
tungstendipper wrote: I bought one of those flat disk too. You're right; the angle is weird and I don't get parallel groves to the point of the tungsten. So I went back to my Harbor Freight 3" bench grinder with a diamond blade on it. Works really well.
Are you referring to a 3" wheel with a diamond face? What grit do you use?
Here's my set-up I had to drill out the wheels to fit the grinder. Grit? Don't know doesn't say.
The wheels are only 10 bucks.
Attachments
IMG_5032.JPG
IMG_5032.JPG (122.83 KiB) Viewed 1101 times
IMG_5031.JPG
IMG_5031.JPG (77.21 KiB) Viewed 1101 times
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737

Got it, thanks for the pics
Richard
Website
Lightning
    Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:55 pm

I rigged up a dedicated grinder using a HFT bench grinder and cabbing (diamond) wheels from Rocklady on ebay, but rarely use it anymore.

For my purposes, I find that just using a 4" angle grinder works fine. I turn it on, set it on the floor, hold it from moving with my feet, and spin the tungstens against the wheel by hand. I don't see all that much difference from the dedicated grinder, and mine goes to I think 800 grit.

If you're trying to TIG on a budget, I think this is one place to save some dough. I definitely can't see spending $$$$ on a tungsten grinder. Maybe if I was tigging unobtainium for NASA, but I'm not...
    Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:48 pm

I found a Liquid Gold grinder used about ten years ago for a pretty good price, I had to get a new diamond wheel and a few other parts to make it right but it does work good. Not so sure I would spend the money to buy one brand new as they are proud as He!! of those things.

Pete

Esab SVI 300, Mig 4HD wire feeder, 30A spool gun, Miller Passport, Dynasty 300 DX, Coolmate 4, Spectrum 2050, C&K Cold Wire feeder WF-3, Black Gold Tungsten Sharperner, Prime Weld 225