Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

Is there anything out there that is new, other than bulky canvas or heavy leather? Manufactures go out of their way to build and design torches that are light, articulated, and not cumbersome. So what's out there to match the manufactures design?

BTW.. I took the leather option and moved the snaps inward to decrease the diameter, it works, but between the snaps, it pops open and exposes the hoses. Velcro would work but would only add bulk.

Any suggestions?
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Hang it from a hook overhead if you're working at a bench/table. This keeps it out of your way, puts less "drag" on the cable and torch as you weld, and protects it from chaffing on the ground. And, you'll never drop your torch and break a cup!
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

I had the leather sort & hated it - grabs hold of everything - now I got a zipped cordura type & it's way better - maybe not as durable long term but I'd rather change it occasionally & keep the flexibility - they are not expensive.

THIS is what I bought, it's light and looks good, but my torch isn't really in a rough shop environment.
Richard
Website

LtBadd wrote:THIS is what I bought, it's light and looks good, but my torch isn't really in a rough shop environment.
Now that's what I'm looking for!!
The 5/8" maybe to small for my 3 hose water cooled torch.
Thanks!!!
Everlast 210 EXT

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
dmcnally
    Sun May 22, 2016 11:45 am

I made a denim cover from old blue jeans.
IMG_4320.JPG
IMG_4320.JPG (167.35 KiB) Viewed 2986 times
Dave

tungstendipper wrote:
LtBadd wrote:THIS is what I bought, it's light and looks good, but my torch isn't really in a rough shop environment.
Thanks!!!
NO, if you read the specs it will expand up to 150%, I'm using it on a CK 20 torch...3 hoses
Richard
Website
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

I'm also using denim.

I consider it a consumable. Of course it's not exactly flame retardant, but stops general wear and tear on the hoses from being dragged about.

Also, it fades nicely when washed and if I roll it up just above the torch handle, it has huge hipster appeal. :roll:

K

MosquitoMoto wrote:I'm also using denim.

I consider it a consumable. Of course it's not exactly flame retardant, but stops general wear and tear on the hoses from being dragged about.

Also, it fades nicely when washed and if I roll it up just above the torch handle, it has huge hipster appeal. :roll:

K
Hey Kym, good to see you about...

Gotta be hip! :lol:
Richard
Website
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

LtBadd wrote:
MosquitoMoto wrote:I'm also using denim.

K
Hey Kym, good to see you about...

Gotta be hip! :lol:
Thanks Richard.

Yeah, I guess if I wanted to go super hip I might sew together a cable sleeve made from red checked lumberjack type shirt material? It's so hard to keep up with what's hip though!

K

LtBadd wrote:
tungstendipper wrote:
Thanks!!!
NO, if you read the specs it will expand up to 150%, I'm using it on a CK 20 torch...3 hoses
Yep! I got the 5/8" but on Amazon. As a Prime Member I got a 25Ft section, same brand for 13.98 with shipping.

Thanks Richard!!! :D
Everlast 210 EXT

CJ737

tungstendipper wrote:
Yep! I got the 5/8" but on Amazon. As a Prime Member I got a 25Ft section, same brand for 13.98 with shipping.

Thanks Richard!!! :D
Sweet deal!
Richard
Website
    Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:31 pm

tungstendipper wrote:Is there anything out there that is new, other than bulky canvas or heavy leather? ....Any suggestions?
We use a combination of materials. RED and BLUE covers are tubular webbing a la static (top rope) supports employed in rock climbing for anchoring. No velcro. FeedThru only.

RED covers a CK Worldwide 17 series torch; BLUE wraps an HTP 17 series, valved, torch; and BLACK shrouds a CK Worldwide 18 torch.

Our GoTo wrap for the 18-series water-cooled CK Worldwide torch is protected in TechFlex's TurtleWrap (www.wirecare.com). Easy install/deinstall with velcro and high-temp resistant. Made in USA.

Aside: the BLACK and BLUE cover SuperFlex lines by CK Worldwide, while the RED protects an old school (stiff) plastic line.

RED and BLUE are $. BLACK is $$. 25ft of BLACK runs ~ $90, but the material is pliable and way more operator friendly than than the RED/BLUE.

:: Go SuperFlex for all your control cables and wrap in tubular webbing and/or TurtleWrap

#thinkmechanically
Attachments
IMG_9375.JPG
IMG_9375.JPG (69.06 KiB) Viewed 3136 times
Last edited by Arclight Ironworks on Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Purpose, then passion. Practitionership. Obsession and hard work. That's the discipline.
    Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:51 am

Could go 'fancy' with some Nomex/Aramid braided cover:

https://www.hellermanntyton.com/product ... /170-02106

Extremely rugged and won't melt.

Another option seems:

https://www.techflex.com/prod_dwt.asp

https://www.techflex.com/prod_dpn.asp

Bye, Arno.
    Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:30 am

The original leads for my ta185 tig were the power lead & the gas. A few times I melted the gas line (not all the way through tho). This setup was stiff & clunky, the two were zip-tied together & caught on everything. I replaced it with a 'superflex' lead. Never burnt it but I was wearing out the cover dragging it around. I had one of those 'expandable' garden hoses with the inner rubber(?) part was rotten. I cut off the ends & worked the inner tube out, cut outer (woven) in half & ran the superflex through it. It was exactly long enough for my 12' superflex line. I used a tiniest zip-tie to secure it (it fit under the '17's' handle). It is 'meltable', but so was the original setup. & the outer hose part is quite durable, (takes 125 psi at least!), like i said, it can melt tho.
I just try & be careful, , , ,

-c-

Look! a hole in the space-time continuum!
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

I have several tig welders. I use 1 inch tubular webbing to cover my Superflex hoses.

Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:48 pm

I have a leather version with the zipper, Works excellent, smooth and compact. I can't remember the brand as it was purchased decades ago. But it is very similar to this one: https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/ ... t-cl-3-22z
Pete

Esab SVI 300, Mig 4HD wire feeder, 30A spool gun, Miller Passport, Dynasty 300 DX, Coolmate 4, Spectrum 2050, C&K Cold Wire feeder WF-3, Black Gold Tungsten Sharperner, Prime Weld 225
Turbo
    Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:11 pm

pgk wrote:I have a leather version with the zipper, Works excellent, smooth and compact. I can't remember the brand as it was purchased decades ago. But it is very similar to this one: https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/ ... t-cl-3-22z

This is the one I have and it works great. I think it's cheaper than the black synthetic miller cover that came with my welder.
Miller Dynasty 210dx

instagram: rsengineeringllc
weldit321@gmail.com
    Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:52 pm

+1 on the denim. I know you already got the other, but ive been using the same denim one for the last couple years with no issues.

Thanks everyone for your GREAT suggestions!!! I'm so grateful for your suggestions and thoughts.

Here's what I covered my hoses with: Pet Flex suggested by Richard (LtBadd).
Attachments
Hose cover.jpg
Hose cover.jpg (117.58 KiB) Viewed 2947 times
Everlast 210 EXT

CJ737
aland
    Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:10 pm

tungstendipper wrote:Thanks everyone for your GREAT suggestions!!! I'm so grateful for your suggestions and thoughts.

td,

That looks nice. I was eyeing that Pet Flex cover which Richard pointed out. Looks good. Are you feeling the love?

Alan

aland wrote:
tungstendipper wrote:Thanks everyone for your GREAT suggestions!!! I'm so grateful for your suggestions and thoughts.

td,

That looks nice. I was eyeing that Pet Flex cover which Richard pointed out. Looks good. Are you feeling the love?

Alan
LOL!
No. there's no Kevin, Mr pete, Old Tony, or good ole' Bob Moffat.
Everlast 210 EXT

CJ737
aland
    Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:10 pm

tungstendipper wrote:No. there's no Kevin, Mr pete, Old Tony, or good ole' Bob Moffat.
There's always Jody, the guy always comes through with something. :)

Alan