Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

I have seen a few threads a on adding helium to argon for tig welding aluminum. Does the same rule apply for carbon and stainless steel?
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Its not really needed for carbon and stainless as it is on aluminum because they weld on much lower temps. You can do it if the steel is thick for similar benefits.

I do use a 75/25 mix in my large bottle on both because I’m lazy and I don’t find the charge for the mix appreciably more expensive. But I don’t really see as much difference using it for steel.

For TIG welding stainless you can use a 2% hydrogen mix for a hotter puddle
Richard
Website
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

There was a time when pure helium was the commonly used shielding gas. It is nuclear hot! Therefore, because of expense it is now used mostly to get more out of a welder not big enough. It is also used to weld aluminum with DC current. I can't think of a steel, or stainless application where cost is justified.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Bill Beauregard wrote:I can't think of a steel, or stainless application where cost is justified.
I don't pay $15 difference for a full sized bottle of Argon to a 75Ar/25He. I keep hearing that its "super expensive" to use Helium, but its not so in my experience.

And, for giggles, right before Xmas I had to refill my large bottle. The guy at my LWS, who was not among the regular counter guys I deal with, was looking up the part # and said, $93. I said (tongue in cheek)"What? Last time it was $63!" He said, "Oh, okay. $63 is fine." I laughed, the other clerk who I deal with constantly, said, "Sure, works for me". I paid cash, threw them $40 for Xmas lunch and walked out. So there, in that instance, it was $15 less than my normal Argon bottle :D It will be interesting to see what it costs next time.
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

Bill Beauregard wrote:There was a time when pure helium was the commonly used shielding gas.
The original name for TIG welding was "heliarc".
Dave
aka "RTFM"
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

cj737 wrote:
Bill Beauregard wrote:I can't think of a steel, or stainless application where cost is justified.
I don't pay $15 difference for a full sized bottle of Argon to a 75Ar/25He. I keep hearing that its "super expensive" to use Helium, but its not so in my experience.

And, for giggles, right before Xmas I had to refill my large bottle. The guy at my LWS, who was not among the regular counter guys I deal with, was looking up the part # and said, $93. I said (tongue in cheek)"What? Last time it was $63!" He said, "Oh, okay. $63 is fine." I laughed, the other clerk who I deal with constantly, said, "Sure, works for me". I paid cash, threw them $40 for Xmas lunch and walked out. So there, in that instance, it was $15 less than my normal Argon bottle :D It will be interesting to see what it costs next time.
If I could get it that cheap, that's all I would use. There have been times suppliers hoarded helium for their best customers.

Willie
    Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:48 pm

Bill Beauregard wrote:
cj737 wrote:

If I could get it that cheap, that's all I would use. There have been times suppliers hoarded helium for their best customers.

Willie
Yah, like one of my LWS. Purity Gas in Lansing MI. They have been hoarding He except for their top or best customers. :(
Pete

Esab SVI 300, Mig 4HD wire feeder, 30A spool gun, Miller Passport, Dynasty 300 DX, Coolmate 4, Spectrum 2050, C&K Cold Wire feeder WF-3, Black Gold Tungsten Sharperner, Prime Weld 225