Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
gshaw2018
    Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:22 pm

I bought a multimatic 215 a few months ago (great machine) for home, set it up with the spool mate 100 and recently acquired a prostar 1 piece tig torch with the gas valve on the handle. I didn't buy the miller tig kit with the machine as it is nearly $600 extra here in Canada and I don't require a foot pedal for what I will be doing. The problem is I can't get gas to flow through the machine and out the torch, it stops at the inlet in the back of the machine. I've got the miller flow through dinse connector, no obstructions through the line or torch head, machine is set to Tig no-remote and gas line is hooked up to the proper hole in the back of the machine but the machine won't let the gas flow through. Anyone else have a similar set up or any idea what I could be doing wrong? I contacted miller and they said my set-up should work fine and the miller dealer here isn't very knowledgeable in the equipment they sell, only said they could send it away for a few weeks to get it looked at.

Thanks
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

If your certain the hose is connected properly to the dinse, and the gas valve is open, then I’d suspect the switch on the front panel isn’t switching modes.

Disconnect hose from rear. Open bottle slightly. Got flow? Connect again. Install dinse, make sure you get about 3/4 of a turn during twist. Open gas valve. Remove cup and insulator, just have tungsten secured. Touch your work. Any gas? Switch the machine between modes and try again. Any luck? Also, check the ground.

I swapped the Miller TIG kit for a superflex 25’ and their dinse and have had no problems. The pedal only modulates the arc, the Lift Arc starts the gas solenoid.
gshaw2018
    Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:22 pm

Thanks CJ everything works from the bottle through the gas line but when I touch the work piece I don't get any gas. I will try switching between modes but it is the digital buttons so theres not much I could do if they are out of whack.