Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
christiankeith90
    Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:59 am

Has anyone ever used one of these machines? I'm looking at buying a used one that comes with a water cooler. Hes asking 2800.
kiwi2wheels
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

I've briefly used one many years ago and liked it a lot, far easier to use that the Aerowave we had. The owner used it on a daily basis; the reason he replaced it was it cooked the main board and one wasn't available at the time and he needed a machine yesterday.

He did eventually get a board and passed the machine on, the new owner fitted the board and it's working fine.

I hope you can test it before any purchase. What type of environment was it used in ?
christiankeith90

I'm not sure, looks like an automotive shop. I'll definitely test it before I purchase it.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

You can buy an awfully good NEW machine for nearly that much $ and get a warranty.
christiankeith90

What 350 amp ac dc transformer machine can I get new for that cheap?
cj737

christiankeith90 wrote:What 350 amp ac dc transformer machine can I get new for that cheap?
Do you truly need 350 amps for the type of work you do? There are many new inverter-based welders reaching into the 200+ range for right around $3,000. There’s no inherent benefit to a transformer machine over an inverter running on domestic power.
Lightning
    Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:55 pm

cj737 wrote:There’s no inherent benefit to a transformer machine over an inverter running on domestic power.
(Unless you want it to last more than a week before the Magic Smoke seals give out.)

BTW, 200A inerter at 20% DC ≠ 350A transformer at 60% DC ... they're not even in the same Universe on aluminum.
cj737

Lightning wrote:
cj737 wrote:There’s no inherent benefit to a transformer machine over an inverter running on domestic power.
(Unless you want it to last more than a week before the Magic Smoke seals give out.)
Well that’s about the dumbest thing I’ve read all week. Are you suggesting an inverter based welding machine is not durable or reliable? If so, I have a Dynasty purchased in 2005 with a few thousand hours on it to disprove your drivel.
BTW, 200A inerter at 20% DC ≠ 350A transformer at 60% DC ... they're not even in the same Universe on aluminum.
Well you seem to be pretty poor at math too, or believe everyone else is. No doubt a 200amp Machine has less duty cycle than a 350 amp Machine. That’s exactly why I asked if he truly needed 350 amps to do his work. Do you actually think or read before posting? Since he’s buying a used machine from an automotive shop, I wondered if he isn’t buying it based upon opportunity, not need. If he needs it, great, it’s a great price for a strong machine. But it has no warranty, so $2800 is risky if you don’t need 350 amps. Get it?
aland
    Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:10 pm

Lightning wrote:

I certainly won't argue about duty cycle or pure amps, but I tend to agree with cj in this case, is 350 amps really needed ?

Not a lot is known about what the OP is doing or what is actually required, but thinking about this logically the aluminum would need to be in the 1" - 2" range to require that many amps...that seems to be a very rare case for most anyone. And steel would need to be enormous also. The real question would be if the OP does need to weld that type/size of aluminum/steel there will not be a lot of options out there and a 350 amp transformer unit could make sense...but would he be using just a portion of those amps for the majority of work? If so it could even make sense to buy a smaller unit and rent one for the large work when needed. The inverter/transformer argument has been beaten to death many times over, and really there is no right answer, IMO...use the right tool for the job, period. There is a reason so many welders are using inverters these days as many of the advantages out weigh the disadvantages. Let us not forget that not all inverters are 20% duty cycle at 200 amps, so not good to generalize on inverters either.

With that said, I am just trying to add a voice of reason, and not trying to debate with either of you...just that I happen to side with cj in this case, he presents an honest question.

Alan
kiwi2wheels

Here's a manual that will give you info on the required power supply ; that's something to be considered.

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/assets/s ... /im467.pdf

It's not unusual to max out a 350 A machine.
Lightning
    Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:55 pm

aland wrote:thinking about this logically the aluminum would need to be in the 1" - 2" range to require that many amps...
:lol: Don't weld a lot of aluminum, do you?
kiwi2wheels

Lightning wrote:
aland wrote:thinking about this logically the aluminum would need to be in the 1" - 2" range to require that many amps...
:mrgreen:
cj737

Lightning wrote:
I do, all the damn time. And I don’t with a 200amp Dynasty inverter :o When I have to weld thick aluminum, I preheat and use a 75/25mix so I don’t have to run a 350 amp Machine. Maybe if you knew more, and yakked less you’d learn something.
aland

Lightning wrote:
Ok Lightning, I'll bite. What aluminum are you welding daily that needs 350 amps?

How much do you know about the OP's work from what they posted in this thread?
christiankeith90

I already have a lincoln squarewave tig 200, but I need something bigger with a water cooled torch. I may or may not ever need the 350 amps but the options are limited on used machines and new ones are so expensive.
cj737

The SW 355 needs 250v 100 amp Service. Bear that in mind. The cost to operate it willl be expensive. It’s not a DIY electrical service garage machine. You might consider an Everlast 255 if you only need sparing usage of thick AC welding.
aland

cj737 wrote:The SW 355 needs 250v 100 amp Service. Bear that in mind.
cj,

I was curious about that and looking last night to try and figure that out. I only have a 125 amp circuit for my entire house which is why I was wondering, but couldn't find where any max in-rush amps were listed. I figured these units need a big circuit to run.

That probably wouldn't be a big issue for a production shop in a commercial building, but that will be a huge circuit for residential.

If the OP has the circuit for it, probably no harm in having a large welder like that.

Alan
cj737

The demand on the circuit feeding a transformer based welder is about the biggest “drawback” if you want to point fingers. They’re workhorse machines and weld great, but they suck poeer and lots of it. The SW 355 requires that 100 amp circuit to run it, which for the average meat lover puts the service out of reach in a home shop. And not often that home welder needs to weld 350 amps worth of metal...

I’ve done some 1” ally and I used pure He and DC to do it. Came back after on aC with Ar/He and cleaned up the weld. But it was strong as dog shite and with an AC wash, didn’t embarrass me. I also preheated some. There’s ways around it when “you got what you got” is my point. Necessity is the Mother of Invention.