Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
RAllard67
    Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:15 am

First off.. Hello everyone and thanks for adding me!!

Im interested in learning to weld aluminum. i have some experience with wire feed and stick on
carbon steel but have never done Aluminum.
So my first question is what is a good first TIG that can do AL as well as CS?
second is... would a Plasma cutter be of any advantage with Aluminum?
Just getting started so im looking for a welder that isnt to advanced that will do from sheet material
up to 1/4 ---3/8 material.
TIA
Robert
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

To weld 1/4”-3/8” aluminum you will need a machine capable of 250 amps comfortably. That puts you in the higher end of a starter machine. If you weld those thicknesses regularly, a water cooled torch is almost a must. 1/8” aluminum you can weld easily all day long with a smaller machine, with the occasional trip up to 1/4” by preheating and using a 25% mix of helium with your Argon.

Lincoln SqaureWave 200 comes to mind as a decent, Miller Synchrowave is another. Everlast has an inexpensive 250 amp box too.
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

Aluminum can be cut with plasma. Entry machines cuts are very course with a lot of slag. Newer machines can use inert air to make the cuts much smoother with less slag.
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
Turbo
    Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:11 pm

I would recommend a machine with adjustable balance as a minimum. I tried to learn aluminum with a diversion and hated it.
Miller Dynasty 210dx

instagram: rsengineeringllc
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

I had to experience a Miller Diversion 180: Too little duty cycle among other shortcomings.
A Dialarc 250 HF. Wonderful machine if you are content with 60 HZ, 50/50 balance, sine wave. I believe many of the factors I found limiting in this machine were not problematic in 1984 when helium shielding gas was cost effective. With argon, I longed for square wave, 60% duty cycle, balance control, frequency control, pulse.

I now have Dynasty 280DX.

It would have cost less to skip a couple upgrades.
ProjectGoFast
    Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:05 am

I use a bandsaw meant for wood to cut aluminum just swap out the blade and have at it, hard metals will kill the blade but the soft stuff works great.
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

Nearly all woodworking tools cut aluminum. Cutting aluminum, the risk of kickback is greater. Butchers wax on the blades will help prevent kickback, and extend the life of blades.