Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:19 am
    Wales (The 3rd country on Mainland UK alongside Scotland and England

Hi everyone, Louise here. I'm a noob to this place and was hoping that somebody could steer me in the right direction for some TIG gloves that are suitable for hands that are small. Probably and item marked as women's, although i know that term is rather inaccurate because anyone can have any size hands. I know men's hands are rarely small in size and maybe this is why i am finding it so darn difficult to get small or extra small gloves. I'd need about a 7.5" glove if anyone can shed some light. Thanks folks :D :D

Hello Louise, welcome to the forum
Take a look at THIS site
Richard
Website
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

Welcome to the board.
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

One thing to know, TIG gloves shrink after some use. As a result, I have about a dozen pairs of Men’s XXL gloves that I’m sure would suit you ;) My 12yo daughter uses them for horseback riding after I’ve used them for about a month because of this.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

I generally just buy thin leather gloves from the hardware store.

They are usually not cow hide. Goat or deer hide gloves are soft and provide good dexterity for feeding rod.

My sleeves are long enough to cover my wrist so no special gloves are needed.

The Tig Finger heat shield, from this website, protects my glove and hand from high heat while propping my hand on the metal.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:19 am
    Wales (The 3rd country on Mainland UK alongside Scotland and England

Thanks for the welcome folks, i recently got a TIG finger but I'm slightly confused about how exactly i should use it effectively. I wish there was more outlets around where i live that sells varieties of welding gear, trying before buying is extremely handy when looking for the right gloves....no pun intended of course.
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

WEASY-WOO wrote:Thanks for the welcome folks, i recently got a TIG finger but I'm slightly confused about how exactly i should use it effectively. I wish there was more outlets around where i live that sells varieties of welding gear, trying before buying is extremely handy when looking for the right gloves....no pun intended of course.
Go to Jody's video page http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/ he have lot's of videos on how to use the TIG finger. I believe he started the TIG finger.
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

WEASY-WOO wrote:Thanks for the welcome folks, i recently got a TIG finger but I'm slightly confused about how exactly i should use it effectively. I wish there was more outlets around where i live that sells varieties of welding gear, trying before buying is extremely handy when looking for the right gloves....no pun intended of course.
I generally rest my pinky on the work I'm welding. So it slides on my pinky to protect it from heat.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
aland
    Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:10 pm

Weasy,

tig gloves are cheap, get a decent pair and see how you like them.

You can buy many of the popular brands for about $10-$12.

I use a pair of dearskin Tillmans, they are 25B.

http://jtillman.com/products/gloves/tig/25b/

There's a link on that page for how they size them and they go down to XS, here's the link:

http://jtillman.com/material-safety/til ... w-to-size/

I got one size smaller than I normally wear, and almost bought 2 sizes smaller, so hope they will shrink some as others say in this thread. You want to be able to pick up filler rod easily with them, so most tig gloves fit tighter.

My first pair of tig gloves and I haven't been tig welding very long, so take my comments with a grain of salt if you like. I tried on 3 different style tig gloves at my local welding shop, the dearskin felt the best to me. I use elkskin for stick, but they are too bulky for tig welding.

Alan
MFleet
    Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:26 am

I use the 25B as well for the feed hand and the fingers were initially too loose. You can custom shrink deerskin without destroying them. I washed them and put them in the dryer. It is easy to overdo, so check them often. The torch glove fit wasn't the problem and continued to shrink with use, so maybe leave that one out.

Miller has small and x-small on the spendy side, but you will find reports of money well spent.
Miller 350P w/Python
Miller Syncrowave 250DX - Beaterwave project
Hypertherm Powermax65
Hobby class lathe and milling machine
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Gloves sold for Tig are just thin leather gloves mostly of a softer leather - there are plenty of places to buy similar gloves that do the same job without the complication of mentioning welding - if you go to a garden center / B&Q / Homebase / Bunnings have a look at they're selection of leather gardening gloves & there will be some soft leather types that are perfectly OK & they generally do have small sizes as women like gardening ! " Briers " is a good brand to look for - if you have nothing local Ebay deliver anywhere - even the land where sheep are scared !
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

WEASY-WOO wrote:... i recently got a TIG finger but I'm slightly confused about how exactly i should use it effectively.
Mostly, you stick your ring/pinky finger in the "pocket" with the folds towards your work. This creates layers of protection between your torch hand and work. Then use the TIG Finger to help slide your torch hand along the work.

I've used 2 TFs on either hand when working on thick steel or thick aluminum to keep my rod hand from melting either. Especially when welding thick aluminum and nearing the end of the piece, that metal gets REALLY dang hot. :o