Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
mxdunne81
    Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:05 pm

Hello all,

A friend of mine asked me to make him some workpieces out of copper for his home brewery. Ultimately I want to TIG braze the copper together with Silicon Bronze.

1) Is silicon bronze safe for this application? If not, what would you use?

2) When I've tried to braze with the sil bro, the filler rod just balls up as soon as I touch it to the workpiece.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

mxdunne81 wrote:Hello all,

A friend of mine asked me to make him some workpieces out of copper for his home brewery. Ultimately I want to TIG braze the copper together with Silicon Bronze.

1) Is silicon bronze safe for this application? If not, what would you use?

2) When I've tried to braze with the sil bro, the filler rod just balls up as soon as I touch it to the workpiece.
Why not just tig weld the copper? I don't know much about copper so I'm just asking
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
thespian
    Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:56 pm

You can braze copper with silicon bronze, get it really clean. I don't know what you are working with , but thin stuff is a real challenge.
Thespian is just an old username I have used forever , my name is Bill
nelson
    Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:21 pm

I've made lots of beer. Weldin? Not so much, but you can weld copper with copper rod. Why not go there?

Copper on copper?
Stone knives and bearskins.....and a NEW EVERLAST 164SI !!!
That's my newly shared work welder.
At home I got a Power Tig 185 DV. Nice, but no plasma cutting... Nice tight arc after a second.
Richr
    Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:38 pm

clean the copper with vinegar and salt first then try using 14ga copper wire for your filler metal...