Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Sbailey16
    Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:26 pm

8-) Hi Guys

Im bit new to the forum but im hoping someone can sort out a problem that ive got whilst tig welding.
I have been welding on and off for years. So i am no expert, but never come across this before.
Its a steel hydraulic ram thats in need of repair.
Im welding an inlet port to the side if the ram.
Every once in a while i get these lines/bumps in the weld directly after welding.
Ive made sure that the work is clean/degreased as best as possible and the gas flow is correct etc.
Is this some sort of crater crack?
I am using a foot pedal to control the current. (maxed out at 110amps)
The pipe is 1/16in thick which is being welded to a ram thats 5/16in thick.

This problem may have already been covered on this forum but cant find any answers

Let me know if you need any further info.
Many Thanks in advance.
Attachments
20180123_222805.jpg
20180123_222805.jpg (27.11 KiB) Viewed 452 times
20180123_222626.jpg
20180123_222626.jpg (36.35 KiB) Viewed 452 times
Cncdave
    Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:38 pm

Sbailey16 wrote:8-) Hi Guys

Im bit new to the forum but im hoping someone can sort out a problem that ive got whilst tig welding.
I have been welding on and off for years. So i am no expert, but never come across this before.
Its a steel hydraulic ram thats in need of repair.
Im welding an inlet port to the side if the ram.
Every once in a while i get these lines/bumps in the weld directly after welding.
Ive made sure that the work is clean/degreased as best as possible and the gas flow is correct etc.
Is this some sort of crater crack?
I am using a foot pedal to control the current. (maxed out at 110amps)
The pipe is 1/16in thick which is being welded to a ram thats 5/16in thick.

This problem may have already been covered on this forum but cant find any answers

Let me know if you need any further info.
Many Thanks in advance.
do you know the type of steel that the ram is composed of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

I would wager a dollar to a donut that you are sucking impurities through the tube wall despite degreasing the exterior. This is a typical problem of maintenance/repair welding anything that carries oil, grease, petroleum products. If permissible, I'd preheat the area some as a test, and see if you remove any muck that bubbles up with a clean rag. (Analogous to the white glove test).