Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
JohnF
    Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:08 am

Hello all. I’m new to this and this is my first post. I’m using a Miller 180 Tig welder and have been practicing on some scrap steel. I am attempting to improve my skills enough so I can get good welds on some 4130 I have. The weld in the picture is on .080 4130. I am using argon at the rate of 20 cfh. My amperage is set at 80 amps. The tungsten I am using is 1/16th 2% ceriated. My cup size is 7. My wire is 1/16th er80s-d2. I cannot get a smooth weld. It appears to be rough and has tiny pinholes in it. Can you help me determine what I am doing wrong? Thanks
Attachments
IMG_0311.jpg
IMG_0311.jpg (85.91 KiB) Viewed 307 times
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Typically I find those bead characteristics the result of ooor has coverage and too much heat. Are you also using a gas lens with your cup?

As for heat, thin metal absorbs heat pretty quickly so you’ll do better using a pedal to taper your heat. Plus, you’re using a 1/16 wire which needs even less heat to be fused. If you’re stuck with dedicated amps, drop to about 65 and try again. And then try at 60. See which amperage produces better results for you.

Lastly, with thin metal, clean both sides really well do you don’t suck impurities through the material while welding.
JohnF
    Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:08 am

cj737 wrote:Typically I find those bead characteristics the result of ooor has coverage and too much heat. Are you also using a gas lens with your cup?

As for heat, thin metal absorbs heat pretty quickly so you’ll do better using a pedal to taper your heat. Plus, you’re using a 1/16 wire which needs even less heat to be fused. If you’re stuck with dedicated amps, drop to about 65 and try again. And then try at 60. See which amperage produces better results for you.

Lastly, with thin metal, clean both sides really well do you don’t suck impurities through the material while welding.
I am not using a gas lens. I assume you meant “poor gas coverage”? I will try these ideas tomorrow. Thanks!
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Yup, sorry. “Poor gas coverage”. Old, fat , fngiers :lol: