Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Desert Rider
    Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:27 am

I’m probably going to get booted off the site with my very second post, cause I’m gonna ask the “which is better Ford or Dodge” question, but what the heck, here goes...

like I stated in my introduction message, I want to learn TIG, both steel and aluminum... so I went out a bought the first used TIG rig i found, a slightly used, Miller Diversion 180... Now that I’ve read every post I could find on the subject, and watched hours of Utube videos on the web... . I’m realizing the Diversion 180 might not be the best machine to use, to learn the art with... I saw where someone posted that they tried to learn on that very machine and it was terrible. Is it better to learn on a machine that makes 80% of the decisions for you... Squarewave vs pure sinewave... Balance? And % cleaning action?

What machine did YOU learn to TIG weld on ? And what were the advantages or disadvantages?

Newbie Chuck in NV
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

There's nothing a good running Diversion can't do that you need to, in order to learn to TIG weld. Adjustable balance is a nice feature, but not required whatsoever. Millions of miles of filler rod have been welded (AC) without balance adjustments, Frequency adjustments, and wave choices. Don't get caught up in the features versus skills tide. Develop your skills because a machine can't bend the fundamentals needed to be a good welder.

That box will serve you very well as a new welder, home hobbyist, DIY'er. When your needs exceed its capabilities, buy a new higher end box and sell that one on. I learned on a transformer and had it up until 2 years ago. Meanwhile, I also bought an inverter in 2005 that I still own for portability and other features. I'll sell that one day and buy the new version of it when I a absolutely have to have it.

I've seen guys run 25 year old engine drives with a HF box and a TIG rig and weld their "man parts" off. You'd think they were the Wizard of Oz with their mad skills.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I learned on a scratch start rig. No thumb control or pedal.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

I'm in the "no frills" camp. Nothing wrong with a simple machine.

My first tig is/was a 1963 Airco 300. It has an amp setting - the rest is up to the operator.

I have a "new" machine too now. It's a 90's model Syncrowave 350.

Doesn't really weld any better than the old Airco.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

MinnesotaDave wrote: I have a "new" machine too now. It's a 90's model Syncrowave 350.
Weeeellll, Dave, I'd have to say that "new" machines (you know, as of this century) do actually perform better than some older machines. Noticably so. However, to your point, skilled folks with even "ancient" machines can still out-weld many folks with the latest and greatest machines.

A buddy of mine who is a Structural TIG welder, recently (like within 2 weeks) just got a Dynasty 280DX. He's been welding on a Synchrowave and an older IdealArc in his shop for about 20 years. It took about 4" of practicing with his new machine for him to say, "Hot damn, thats the sweetest machine I've ever welded with!" He's a no-frills guy too, but certainly could weld the difference, if you know what I mean? ;)

cj737 wrote:
MinnesotaDave wrote: I have a "new" machine too now. It's a 90's model Syncrowave 350.
Weeeellll, Dave, I'd have to say that "new" machines (you know, as of this century) do actually perform better than some older machines. Noticably so. However, to your point, skilled folks with even "ancient" machines can still out-weld many folks with the latest and greatest machines.

A buddy of mine who is a Structural TIG welder, recently (like within 2 weeks) just got a Dynasty 280DX. He's been welding on a Synchrowave and an older IdealArc in his shop for about 20 years. It took about 4" of practicing with his new machine for him to say, "Hot damn, thats the sweetest machine I've ever welded with!" He's a no-frills guy too, but certainly could weld the difference, if you know what I mean? ;)
No frills machines are clearly better.... Until I get MY first dynasty too :D :D
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Everything seems like it's perfect until you try something better. I always thought our Airco stick welder at school was fine and it was me that was the problem. Used a dynasty and a precision tig to stick weld once and I realized that the machine was dying or having problems.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick

Farmwelding wrote:Everything seems like it's perfect until you try something better. I always thought our Airco stick welder at school was fine and it was me that was the problem. Used a dynasty and a precision tig to stick weld once and I realized that the machine was dying or having problems.
Fortunately I've used a lot of machines so I can tell that my Airco and Syncrowave are both excellent.

But I'm sure I'll still really like a cool new fancy one, as long as it stays working that is. Chances are good a new fancy one will die early enough to irritate me.

Not that it matters though. I'm too part-time to justify the cost.
Dave J.

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc