Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
adksigns
    Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:24 pm

Can aluminum be brazed, using a tig machine?

Matt
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Yes, but why would you? It will be less strong than welding it...
adksigns

cj, I am welding small aluminum tubing 3/16 and being a beginner to aluminum I am having some trouble blowing out the weld joints. I thought if I could braze them I would need less heat but still be strong enough for its intended purpose.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

adksigns wrote:cj, I am welding small aluminum tubing 3/16 and being a beginner to aluminum I am having some trouble blowing out the weld joints. I thought if I could braze them I would need less heat but still be strong enough for its intended purpose.
You are blowing through 3/16" thick tubing?
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
adksigns

3/16 6061 .035 wall thickness
cj737

Farmwelding wrote:
adksigns wrote:cj, I am welding small aluminum tubing 3/16 and being a beginner to aluminum I am having some trouble blowing out the weld joints. I thought if I could braze them I would need less heat but still be strong enough for its intended purpose.
You are blowing through 3/16" thick tubing?
Probably its 3/16" OD and 0.030 wall.
Something to try: preheat your tubing with propane. If your machine allows a change in Freq, dial it up to 150Hz or higher. Set your AC balance down to 65%. This will help reduce your heat effect and penetration a bit. And once your puddle starts, get off the PEDAL. Or, Bump along on/off the pedal making basically tacks of 2-3 dips. Then stop. Let cool a bit, then begin again. Thin aluminum is the Devil's Toy to weld for new welders. :twisted: :evil:
adksigns

Thanks for the help I have a AHP AlphaTIG 200X 2016 version. To get back to my first question is it possible to tig braze aluminum?

Thank you, everyone, for your help.
cj737

adksigns wrote:Thanks for the help I have a AHP AlphaTIG 200X 2016 version. To get back to my first question is it possible to tig braze aluminum?

Thank you, everyone, for your help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm1VfYEOC50

Hello adksigns
Can you provide more information as to the function or purpose of the tube that you want to braze? This would be helpful in giving the best advice for your situation.

Do you have any photos or drawings of the design?
Richard
Website
adksigns

Looking for a way to Tig braze using less heat to the joints.

Joining 3/16 OD x .035 Aluminum

Picture below

cj737

LtBadd wrote:Hello adksigns
Can you provide more information as to the function or purpose of the tube that you want to braze? This would be helpful in giving the best advice for your situation.

Do you have any photos or drawings of the design?
Given that it's 3/16" OD and 0.035 wall, it can only be decorative.

Posted in another related thread.

aluminum brazing
Richard
Website