Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
bilt2spd
    Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:54 pm

I have a winch and the drum and clutch engagement dogs have become rounded off. I would like to build it back up and machine it back to original. Do I need a special rod for hardfacing or will ER70S6 work? I would appreciate your input.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hi there,

In applications of reclaiming steel, besides going full science on the whole thing, Stainless steel filler 309 is good. It is meant for welding on steels,312 stainless is better but its not as common, and provides a slightly harder deposit. I don't know exactly about your part, Maybe it needs a higher alloy if its really hard. Jody talks about Hastalloy W but I doubt you could find a single rod of that laying around.
Franz©
    Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:02 pm

Are you talking about the dog clutch that engages the cable drum itself to the spindle or another clutch in the driveline?

Do you intend to do the buildup with Heliarc or MIG or stick?
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

weldin mike 27 wrote:Jody talks about Hastalloy W but I doubt you could find a single rod of that laying around.
You can if you wander over to my house. 8-)

If you squint your eyes real hard, partially cross them, and focus behind this picture, you just might spot some...

Not responsible for eye doctor bills, lol.

So, the question is, are you going to sell some to him, or are you just going to be a good guy and give some. A good friend on here was supposed to send me some silicon bronze once in exchange for some files but never got around to it. Ah well, Que Sera Sera.
    Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:51 am

Oscar wrote:If you squint your eyes real hard, partially cross them, and focus behind this picture, you just might spot some...
I can already imagine you digging through piles and piles of 'exotic' filler wire just to find a bit of 'plain ole' ER70.. :lol: :lol:

Bye, Arno.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

weldin mike 27 wrote:So, the question is, are you going to sell some to him, or are you just going to be a good guy and give some. A good friend on here was supposed to send me some silicon bronze once in exchange for some files but never got around to it. Ah well, Que Sera Sera.
I think I can spare a rod if he really needs it. With as much nickel as W-alloy has, I'm not sure it would be the best bet for something that requires a hard surface. Nickel usually makes things stretchier.

True. Higher ductility. Work hardenability is what he wants in this application
kiwi2wheels
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

Would some 1/16" or 3/32" hard facing stick rods be an option ? Polish after flux is removed.

Cheaper and easier to obtain without breaking the bank.

As long as it was meant for metal on metal impact.
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

I have SMAW rods of manganese component. They work harden, seem bullet proof, and I'd contribute to the experiment if you like. Without this discussion I'd say strength, ductility, and impact tolerance are more important than hardness. I'd use Hastelloy. I have some in small diameters. Wanna try some? Otherwise I'd go 309, or 312 stainless.

Try to lure Jody out of his lair. He will know.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Aren’t those pawls meant to be a wear part? Why not just 70s2? I’d almost second guess that with the 309 just because that will be soft too.
I have more questions than answers

Josh