Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
bruce991
    Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:31 pm

I am curious on a outside aluminum joint weld how do you get best results with overlapping one surface entirely over the butt end of the other piece that is perpendicular? Or only half way on both thus welding into a valley on outside. I would think the latter would give better strength in the weld as the full over lap your welding a seam with less contact. Reason I ask I have a storage box job to weld using 1/8 in sheet aluminum into a rectangular storage box. Thanks
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

I do corner to corner.
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737

bruce991 wrote: Or only half way on both thus welding into a valley on outside. I would think the latter would give better strength in the weld as the full over lap your welding a seam with less contact. Reason I ask I have a storage box job to weld using 1/8 in sheet aluminum into a rectangular storage box. Thanks
Yes, I agree, however the fitup is a little more work but not difficult
Richard
Website

After reading your post again, I'll clarify with this pic.
Edge joint.jpg
Edge joint.jpg (5.47 KiB) Viewed 503 times
Richard
Website
bruce991
    Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:31 pm

Sorry didn't get back I would say that is my choice as well, thanks.