It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:58 pm Advanced search

New to Aluminium Tig, no penetration

Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process

Re: New to Aluminium Tig, no penetration

Postby Bill Beauregard » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:47 pm

noddybrian wrote:In pictures that model though basic appears to have slope down so it's still possible to get away without a pedal hitting the initial amps hard then using the downslope as a kinda pulse.

If you ski, you will understand. I've never mastered slalom skiing. I can't plan turns to match the gates.
A pulse requires you to sync your actions to the pulse in the welder. You can adjust the rate of pulse. I've never managed to synchronize dipping with the machine. Pulsing with my foot is a great deal easier for me.

Choosing a higher rate of pulse, I feel is a great way to limit the heat input while heating the weld to an adequate energy level.
Bill Beauregard
Weldmonger

Postby noddybrian » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:02 am

Well I don't ski either & have general coordination problems plus my damaged left hand has a mind of it's own - the more I concentrate the worse it gets - for me using a pedal just complicates the issue so I only use one as a last resort - ( mostly on thin aluminum ) & I hate them - am considering one of the pressure sensitive torch switch amptrols instead but the price is crazy high still -I do know what you mean with the pulse timing thing - though I find that easier than using a pedal - my point to the OP was that you can weld without a pedal on aluminum just not continuously - with slope down set the main amps high enough to get a puddle fast - add filler quickly before it gets too big / out of control & start to wash forward while tapering off with the slope down - once the amps get low enough the puddle solidifies hit the switch blast it again & move forward - pretty much as you would bump weld on anodized - some of the nicest welds you will see on here were done that way on boat railings - not even sure if the guy has a pedal available & the shape / size of his projects would make using one very difficult - others love the pedal & struggle to weld without it - that's why we are all different but still get the job done.
noddybrian
Weldmonger

Postby cj737 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:41 am

noddybrian wrote:...once the amps get low enough the puddle solidifies hit the switch blast it again & move forward - pretty much as you would bump weld on anodized - some of the nicest welds you will see on here were done that way on boat railings - not even sure if the guy has a pedal available & the shape / size of his projects would make using one very difficult...

This is the exact technique I use often with ally when the shape, material or position requires real control. I don't have a torch switch, but whack the pedal, use pulse (often 1.2pps, 50% on time, 20% peak) to get fast chill. Its almost like making a bunch of single hot tacks with no start or re-start.
Last edited by cj737 on Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
cj737
Weldmonger

Postby Bill Beauregard » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:42 am

There are some new torch mounted amperage controls out now. I don't have one, but some welds would benefit. I manage usually to rig a foot pedal to serve the purpose.
Bill Beauregard
Weldmonger

Postby musccoo » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:00 pm

noddybrian wrote:my point to the OP was that you can weld without a pedal on aluminum just not continuously - with slope down set the main amps high enough to get a puddle fast - add filler quickly before it gets too big / out of control & start to wash forward while tapering off with the slope down - once the amps get low enough the puddle solidifies hit the switch blast it again & move forward - pretty much as you would bump weld on anodized

Ahhhh I get ya makes sense I'll give it a go!
musccoo

Previous

Return to Tig Welding - Tig Welding Aluminum - Tig Welding Techniques - Aluminum Tig Welding