Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Dyno
    Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:24 pm

I ordered 10lbs of ER70-S2 online and I received T-70S2. I have never heard of this before. Is anyone familiar with it?
Attachments
F6BB2ADC-0EAF-4C62-ACAB-21606401EB8D.jpeg
F6BB2ADC-0EAF-4C62-ACAB-21606401EB8D.jpeg (38.71 KiB) Viewed 911 times
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

Never heard of kiswel, but their website (and your photo) says it's er70-s2. Why would they rename it, who knows, maybe the same reason Lincoln renamed 7018 to Excalibur.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
Dyno

That's what I was thinking, just wasn't sure if there was some other kind of filler rod that I'd never heard of.
aland
    Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:10 pm

Artie F. Emm wrote:Never heard of kiswel, but their website (and your photo) says it's er70-s2. Why would they rename it, who knows, maybe the same reason Lincoln renamed 7018 to Excalibur.
Dave,

Sorry, that's not a fair comparison. Lincoln markets Excalibur 7018 MR, so it is not like a rename. And Lincoln makes other 7018 electrodes also, manufactured in Mexico rather than the U.S.A., where Excalibur is manufactured.

Honestly, I don't know anything about Kiswel either, but their website says that Kiswel USA manufactures in the U.S.A., FWIW.

Looks like a Korean company, but they look pretty international with offices in Japan, Europe, Dubai, China and of course several in Korea.

My LWS stocks Washington Alloy, I've only used about 4 or 5 rods so far, so still working my way through my first lb. :roll:

Alan
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

No matter the brand of any filler material, ALWAYS read the AWS/ASME spec (for us Yanks). They can call Blue Violet Roses; it doesn't matter. The spec settles the bet.
Dyno

Upon opening the box I discovered it's just plain 'ol ER70S-2. I'm not sure why they felt the need to label the package differently.
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

aland wrote:Lincoln markets Excalibur 7018 MR, so it is not like a rename. And Lincoln makes other 7018 electrodes
...which they've renamed. My intended point was why introduce the need for a decoder ring.
jetweld.jpg
jetweld.jpg (112.23 KiB) Viewed 850 times
Dave
aka "RTFM"
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Artie F. Emm wrote:
aland wrote:Lincoln markets Excalibur 7018 MR, so it is not like a rename. And Lincoln makes other 7018 electrodes
...which they've renamed. My intended point was why introduce the need for a decoder ring.
jetweld.jpg
Not familiar with 7016. What you use that rod for?
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Farmwelding wrote: Not familiar with 7016. What you use that rod for?
7016 is a low hydrogen potassium flux rod like 7018 - but doesn't have iron powder added.

I found the puddle to be a little less fluid or "dryer" for lack of a better word.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
aland
    Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:10 pm

Artie F. Emm wrote:
jetweld.jpg
Dave,

Ok, I'm following you now...yeah, the 7018 electrodes made in Mexico are under the Jet label also...I use the Excalibur, and recently when my LWS sold me some of the Jet, I took it back and exchanged it for Excalibur after seeing the Jet was made in Mexico. They charge the same price per lb.:roll:

Anyway, even the T-70S2 is confusing, no argument from me there...I'm gonna stick with Washington Allow (welding pun?) as that is what my LWS stocks.

Alan