Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
chris114topher
    Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:46 am

Does anyone have any experience welding on stainless lines that will be exposed to temperatures as low as -60F?

I'm tasked with welding connections on a heat transfer fluid loop that will be circulating a synthetic fluid that will be cooled to -60f then heated to 250f. I was just planning on carefully tig welding everything with 316 alloy rods and using 316 pipe and fittings. I know factoring for expansion in the piping will be important, but my main concern is stress cracks in the welds themselves.

This cold stuff is a new area for me as well as our plant. I figure we'll experience quite a bit of growing pains figuring out the world of running reactions well below freezing.

Thanks,
Chris
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

Chris,
I would assume that an engineer of some sort was involved in the design of this system?
It might pay to see the plan and what the designer has laid out as the preferred method of welding. Failing that contact him or his office and get something in writing.
You as the assembler shouldnt be in the position of having to make a WAG at materials requirements.
My view as a home welder and longtime aircraft mechanic.
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....