Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
rickyv51
    Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:14 pm

Hello,
Has anyone ever had the experience of welding regular aluminum bar (flat bar, angle, or rod) to cast aluminum? What was the outcome? Any special instructions?
Thank you
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

You may need to indicate what kind of aluminum the flat bar is.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
rickyv51
    Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:14 pm

The aluminum is common bar stock probably a 6061.
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

I have, but to 1050, not to 60-series.
Used 4043 filler
Came out a little bubbly but not to bad. Casting was a lightning pole, clean but with some degree of porosity.
Still holding up as far as I know.
Turbo
    Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:11 pm

I cut the bottom off of an old BMW oil pan and welded in a 6061 box with hinged baffles and extra quart capacity. I used 4043. That project was done with my Diversion 165 5 years ago, and is the primary reason I don't recommend anyone buying that machine. It held up for the 3 seasons I raced that car and as far as I know is still ok after I sold it. I had to remelt the joints a few times to get rid of the porosity and pinholes. I needed more cleaning action and higher amperage. I wasn't able to get all the pinholes out of the joint between the cast and 6061, so I smeared JB around the outside. Now that I'm older and wiser and have better equipment I could get an airtight weld no problem. I could maybe do it with that Diversion now if I had a helper with a torch to keep it hot.
Miller Dynasty 210dx

instagram: rsengineeringllc