Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

Hey y'all

I'm TIG welding up some 8" aluminum irrigation pipe, just for practice right now but come spring i'll have a few repairs to do. Anyone here have any experience with it? Just a quick google search says Irrigation pipe is usually 3004. would 4043 filler be used for that? What'll happen if you use the wrong filler, just wont be as strong or will it simple not weld? Ive used a spool gun up till now but a spool gun and 1/16 ish wall pipe (dont know the exact thickness offhand) do not work for me! Ive tried a couple practice beads but have to get more filler wire as i only had a rod or 2 lying around. What filler would be the right one, and what size?

Thanks!
Julian

Hello JayWal
HERE is a link to Hobarts filler selection guide, that should help.
Richard
Website

Actually this is a better chart, link is to a PDF file
Richard
Website
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

Thanks Richard! Good info.
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
    Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

Awesome. Thanks guys!

Julian
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

You will need to clean the inside of the pipe back about 2 inches. There will be lots of lime and calcium buildup on the water side.
I have more questions than answers

Josh