Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

A while back someone posted a source for a six inch diamond grinding wheel as shown below. I tried to buy one, but it was an un-secure site. Since then, I found one on eBay for 45 bucks. It was a 100 grit, then I used a 240 grit plate diamond grinding wheel, that I all ready had, and mounted to the side of the wheel. This combination really works great! You can rough grind with the 100 grit and finish with the side plate at 240 grit. Puts a great grind on the tungsten.
Attachments
s-l275.jpg
s-l275.jpg (11.71 KiB) Viewed 1153 times
diamond grind.jpg
diamond grind.jpg (75.01 KiB) Viewed 1153 times
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737

That's a sweet setup. I have the side disc like yours, sooner or later I'll get the diamond face wheel.
Richard
Website
ljdm1956
    Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:29 pm

tungstendipper wrote:A while back someone posted a source for a six inch diamond grinding wheel as shown below. I tried to buy one, but it was an un-secure site. Since then, I found one on eBay for 45 bucks. It was a 100 grit, then I used a 240 grit plate diamond grinding wheel, that I all ready had, and mounted to the side of the wheel. This combination really works great! You can rough grind with the 100 grit and finish with the side plate at 240 grit. Puts a great grind on the tungsten.
Do you have a link or brand/part number? Thanks......
Lincoln Weld-Pak 180
Lincoln spool gun
Everlast PowerUltra 205p
AHP AlphaTig 200X
Assorted stuff

Here's the link https://www.ebay.com/itm/150mm-6-inch-T ... 0675.m4236
This is a 60 grit but he has different grits available.
Everlast 210 EXT

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

I had a similar setup for a long time. Then, I used someone’s tungsten grinder while doing a TIG job, and bought one promptly thereafter. The 2 big reasons: portability and speed. The grinder I bought spins up immediately and I’ve touched up my tip and back to welding before my bench grinder ever spins up and down. Plus, it’s dead consistent angles each time.

Sure, it costs more, but is pretty darn convenient in my eyes.
Lightning
    Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:55 pm

I set up a rig like that when I first started tig welding...

Regular stone disk on the left, and two diamond-grit cabbing wheels face-to-face on the right (200 and 600 grit).

Works well, and I still occasionally use it, but most of the time, I just grind my tungstens on the angle grinder nowadays. Turn on the angle grinder, set it down on the floor outside the shop, hold down the grinder with my foot, and grind away. I'll grind 10 or 20 tungstens at a time, then use them all up, then re-grind them all...

CJ,
I don't have 400 bucks to spend on one, plus, I used one and if you dip your tungsten and have a big glob on it, it's impossible to get it in the hole of the tungsten grinder.
I like what I have. When I get as good as you maybe I'll find the 400 bucks! :D
Everlast 210 EXT

CJ737
Lightning
    Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:55 pm

cj737 wrote: Plus, it’s dead consistent angles each time.
Does it let you change the bevel angle? I like to use different bevels, depending on how much penetration I want.

cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

If you do dip your tungsten, you can nip that tip off with one of the orifices, regrind, and blunt. All in one tool.

And yes, you can adjust the angle of the bevel and the size of the tungsten to be sharpened. Yep, they’re pricey, but as I stated above, I spent a long time with a dual wheel bench grinder. I got mine for closer to $300 so I was able to swallow thatfor the conveniences and benefits I see in it.
aland
    Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:10 pm

cj737 wrote:If you do dip your tungsten, you can nip that tip off with one of the orifices, regrind, and blunt. All in one tool.

And yes, you can adjust the angle of the bevel and the size of the tungsten to be sharpened. Yep, they’re pricey, but as I stated above, I spent a long time with a dual wheel bench grinder. I got mine for closer to $300 so I was able to swallow thatfor the conveniences and benefits I see in it.
Did you get the TechSouth? Sharpie?