Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
joetig
    Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:27 pm

went to the weldshop to fill my tank of argon for my mig welder and they gave me a tank of 75/25 mix.....

i own my tank.....my question is can i use this 75/25 mix for tig welding too?

thanks joe
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hi there,

That's a No, unfortunately. The active carbon dioxide just causes the tungsten to burn to a nub.

Mick
sedanman
    Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:54 pm

And on the flip side, you can't use pure argon for mig welding either. You need two bottles.
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

sedanman wrote:And on the flip side, you can't use pure argon for mig welding either. You need two bottles.
Unless you're doing stainless or aluminum, but you are right. Two bottles are necessary.
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737

Stainless mig still needs some form of active gas to achieve the arc force.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

tungstendipper wrote:
sedanman wrote:And on the flip side, you can't use pure argon for mig welding either. You need two bottles.
Unless you're doing stainless or aluminum, but you are right. Two bottles are necessary.
Aluminum MIG 100% Argon
Stainless MIG 75/25, TriMix, or C100. No 100% Argon.
sedanman
    Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:54 pm

cj737 wrote:
tungstendipper wrote:
Aluminum MIG 100% Argon
Stainless MIG 75/25, TriMix, or C100. No 100% Argon.

Ralax folks. If the op was asking this particular question i feel my answer was appropriate in that i doubt he's mig welding anything other than mild steel.
cj737

sedanman wrote: Ralax folks. If the op was asking this particular question i feel my answer was appropriate in that i doubt he's mig welding anything other than mild steel.
I am relaxed, and was only clarifying for the OP what gas is required for which metal. Never intended any insult towards you.
joetig

so 100% argon is ok for mild steel?
thanks so far for the help
cj737

joetig wrote:so 100% argon is ok for mild steel?
Yes, for TIG. TIG is always 100% Argon (steel, stainless, Ti or Al) unless you add Helium for pentetration
joetig

cj737 wrote:
joetig wrote:so 100% argon is ok for mild steel?
Yes, for TIG. TIG is always 100% Argon (steel, stainless, Ti or Al) unless you add Helium for pentetration
im sorry let me rephrase this.....

100% argon for mild steel mig welding?
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

joetig wrote: im sorry let me rephrase this.....

100% argon for mild steel mig welding?
Not recommended. It doesn't work very well so you generally wouldn't like it.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

Bob Moffatt at Weld.com did a video. MIG needs a component of reactive gas. O2 is very reactive. a tiny component does it, or CO2 is more predictable, but needs a heavier dose.

Joe,

Same effect. You get a shielded weld, but no punch. Imagine migging and someone turning the wire speed way down,

Mick
joetig

.....thanks guys i appreciate the input.....

i used argon only when i first got the welder in 1994 and i forgot how it welded compared to now with the 75/25 mx which i only used once welding on a tab so far.....i hadnt welded since like 1995

i guess 2 bottles will be in order.....one for my little tig machine and the other for the millermatic 90

I just looked up the blends available in Australia under the Stainshield label. Light is argon with oxygen and stainshield heavy is argon, oxygen and a small percentage of co2. (need to watch the amount of carbon dioxide with stainless, as that is the enemy of stainless.