Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
shootintom
    Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:19 am

Well, it finally happened, my attendance at the Lincoln Motorsports class was finally approved! Leave Sunday for their 5 day school. Can't hardly wait.

Tom
genarr3
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:02 am

I'm curious to hear what it's like, I'm taking their TIG class in December.
Joker11
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:24 pm

Approved? I would imagine they would be struggling to get attendance up! With this economy I find it hard to believe that the motorsports class is even half full. The cost of their classes are somewhat high if you ask me. Which drives me crazy because I am die-hard lincoln all the way.
Lucky for me I have a Lincoln Lab close to me in Phoenix and have been there for some quick training. But I have an offer to come back and work on anything, so that's cool.
Let us all know how it works out. As in, is it worth it?

Thanks,
Joker
genarr3

I registered for the TIG class back in July, the earliest opening wasn't til December. The Motorsports classes were likewise.
shootintom
    Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:19 am

I'm back from the Lincoln and I can definately tell you that it was money well spent for me! There's a lot of material covered - MIG, TIG, Steel, Aluminum, ChromeMoly, Stainless, Plasma cutting, and just about anything else you are interested in. My class was actually overbook with 11 attendees and it turned out that I was the overbookee since my registration was done online. They don't seem to keep up the website as closely as they should since when I registered they were still 4 spots open. Anyway, we got to see the Lincoln (naturally) Power Mig 350MP using both aluminum and steel and if you are doing aluminum in production this is the machine to have. I saw 3/8" aluminum plate that looked like it had been TIG welded! This was done with the pulse-on-pulse setting, and we saw the difference using it it with that feature turned off. It an amazing machine to say the least.

There's a lot of freedom in the class and it's roughly 70-80% hands-on welding and you do weld the very first day. We were given a gas lens kit, a Motorsports hat, taken to dinner one evening as well as Lincoln banners and decals for the shop and tool boxes.

You can have as much instructor time as you need and use any machine that suits you. I spent all my time on there SquareWave 355 TIG since that's the machine I've just acquired for our shop. There are barrels of sample material for welding, steel, aluminum, stainless, ChromeMoly tubing. We got to weld up 4130 tube for a pull test to get a certificate if your weld passes the test! Mine passed, although I have no use for the cert. other than bragging rights!

I won't be taking the Advanced course since I don't have the need for what is offered in that class. I will however be looking into taking the TIG course.

The instructor was Karl Hoes wo travels to a lot of the races for Lincoln and is the "Go-To-Guy" for repairs of virtually anything if you break it at Daytona.

If you have any questions just ask.

Tom
ELCO1
    Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:35 pm

Im jealous, it would be great to go to a class like that...

Here have some of these... :D :) ;) 8-) :lol: :arrow: :roll:
genarr3

I was assuming the classes there were good and it's great to hear my assumptions are correct. I'm looking forward to going to the TIG class in December.