Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
JoePeeple
    Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:31 am

So, I have read just about every post on the forum, including a couple regarding torch sizes.
I have to say, I thought you guys were full of it, talking about how much better it was using a smaller torch, and the benefits of using a smaller torch if the job and current required fall within torch specifications.
Pfffft, I thought, this 26 size torch that was supplied with my machine and that I am currently using is just fine. ;)
Untill I bit the bullet and bought myself a CK17 FX with SuperFlex cable.
Noooow I see what you were talking about :D Much more better!
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

just wait until you try a water-cooled 20 series torch. You'll probably faint.
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

go one steep farther and try a 20 flex-lock.... no going back
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

we have 17 air cooled torches at my high school and have mostly water cooled 20 torches. I didn't know what was going on. It just felt so weird having the torch be so big going back to the 17.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
HoodLyfe
    Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:53 pm

Having an air cooled setup at my house, it was a pleasure going from a 17 to a 9 setup. To keep it simple for $110 I just bought a full #9 setup from HTP so I can easily just twist and switch. Most I do automotive piping and turbo stuff. So the majority of the time I'm under 130amps.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

how do you guys get on with amperage on those torches ?
17's are 150 amp torch afaik. how do you get on welding above 150 amps ?

i have two 26 torches. one is unknown brand and its like a sledgehammer to drag around and you almost have to hold it like a hammer. the other is a ck and has a much nicer handle thats easier to use and can hold it like a pencil.
tweak it until it breaks
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

tweake wrote:how do you guys get on with amperage on those torches ?

i have two 26 torches. one is unknown brand and its like a sledgehammer to drag around and you almost have to hold it like a hammer. the other is a ck and has a much nicer handle thats easier to use and can hold it like a pencil.
A water cooled torch is your answer. They are small and NEVER get hot.
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

tungstendipper wrote:
tweake wrote:how do you guys get on with amperage on those torches ?

A water cooled torch is your answer. They are small and NEVER get hot.
the trouble with that is that just the cooling unit alone costs more than what my welder costs, in fact its close on the price for both welders combined.
edit: quick quick i can find one about the same price as the welder. for basically a pump and radiator thats really expensive.
tweak it until it breaks
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

You can weld above 150 amps with a 17. You just need to gauge the heat. If it’s too hot to hold with a thin tig glove then it’s time to let it cool. I’ve melted down several 17’s welding less than 150 amps but doing long runs.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Bradk
    Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:09 am

Joe,
I have a couple of tig machines, a Lincoln Squarewave Tig 200 and an Everlast PowerTig 250EX. I have changed torches on both machines as I like to kind of modify stuff to my liking. I had an oem original size 17 torch on the 200 but changed to a WeldTec WTS-17 "Stubby" tig torch which has been really good for me. I am running a Furick #8 glass cup on that as well, does good all around welds (small, flexible hose, short head). First saw Jody Collier using one in a video he did.
On the Everlast I lost the big blue European style torch for a Weldcraft WP20 which is nice and small as well. I know that CK makes a cornecopia of torches but have just never tried or owned one. I am a fan of small torches but of course do not weld in the world of high amperage above 250 so my torches can be small. I believe the world of high amp tig welding requires the use of a torch the size of a small club, not comfortable I would assume?

Brad
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Bradk wrote:I believe the world of high amp tig welding requires the use of a torch the size of a small club, not comfortable I would assume?

Brad
Or more creative solutions to draw the heat out of the torch lines.
kiwi2wheels
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

Oscar wrote:
Bradk wrote:I believe the world of high amp tig welding requires the use of a torch the size of a small club, not comfortable I would assume?

Brad
Or more creative solutions to draw the heat out of the torch lines.
Every shop I worked in with 350 / 351 Syncrowaves, Squarewave TIG 355's, et al, always used WP 20 style torches and never melted any. We were not doing long runs of high amp, thick plate fabrication, continuous high amp casting repairs / build-ups, but there were occasions when the machines were maxed out with straight argon, and in all of those instances , we went to 100% helium to achieve the required result.

And this was in the pre-Superflex hose era. These days, there is the 320 A torch option ( CK, Speedway ) that uses 20 series consumables and is only a little larger that a 20. The bottom line is that for the hobbyist or motor sport usage, a 20 will deliver the goods without the club PITA.