Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Bradk
    Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:09 am

Good Evening,
Had a question as to Tungsten color after welding a little on steel. Been working on a press break hydraulic frame for my garage shop. Doing some welding on parts of the press using my Everlast Tig 250 EX. Using 125 amps dc, 20 cfh argon flow and an Arc Time 3/32 Tungsten with 1/16 ER70S2 filler rod. Been getting a purple/bluish tungsten after welding for a while. I believe I am getting contamination from what I am welding? Cleaned material with simple green and then alcohol before welding. Symptoms seem to reappear again after resharpening tungsten. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Brad
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Increase your post flow till it stays shiny.
Min 8 seconds

Sent using Tapatalk
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
Bradk

Coldman,
Did not even think about that, believe that I have post flow set to about 4 seconds? Will turn up post flow time to a minimum of at least 10 seconds or so.

Much appreciated,
Brad
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

Make sure you haven't set your post flow to an .8 of a second instead of a full 8.0 seconds.
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
Bradk

Tungste Dipper,
I will make sure to not do .8 seconds. I have pre-flow set at about 2 seconds. My Lincoln Squarewave Tig 200 has a non settable post flow which runs for quite some time to keep me out of trouble, new to the Everlast .

Brad
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Rule of thumb is 1 second per 10 amps for post flow. Your SW will run for 12.5 seconds at 125 amps, maybe a tad longer than required. I usually set my machine to 10 seconds and leave it unless Im running around tacking only. Then its set to about 5 seconds to cool the tack/tungsten. It doesn't really end up costing you really $ in the long run for that extra argon.

Bradk wrote:Tungste Dipper,
I will make sure to not do .8 seconds. I have pre-flow set at about 2 seconds. My Lincoln Squarewave Tig 200 has a non settable post flow which runs for quite some time to keep me out of trouble, new to the Everlast .

Brad
I have a Square wave 200 and bought an Everlast (bought for this reason and more amenities) and I wondered why my tungsten turned black; and yup I had my my post flow at .8 seconds!
Everlast 210 EXT

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737

cj737 wrote:Rule of thumb is 1 second per 10 amps for post flow. Your SW will run for 12.5 seconds at 125 amps, maybe a tad longer than required. I usually set my machine to 10 seconds and leave it unless Im running around tacking only. Then its set to about 5 seconds to cool the tack/tungsten. It doesn't really end up costing you really $ in the long run for that extra argon.
Did not know this....
Thanks CJ!
Everlast 210 EXT

CJ737
hey_allen
    Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:09 pm

Another possibility, if the increased post-flow doesn't fix it, is any possible shield gas leaks letting air be drawn into the shielding gas flow.

I was chasing this on a cheaper TIG setup that I bought used, and it turned out that the torch head rubber overmold had gotten hard and was no longer sealing against the back cap seal, and was allowing air to be sucked in.
Once I replaced the handle with a nice new CK, no more issues.
-Josh
Greasy fingered tinkerer.