Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Cobra
    Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:17 pm

So I purchased a new helmet that has four sensors and is specified to be good to 5 amps DC.
I am still getting flashed when it does not darken at 100 amps DC.
Works fine on AC and works fine on stick.
Is there something I should be checking before I take it back for a refund?
Thanks

Jim
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Whet brand of helmet? Does it have a sensitivity adjustment? Try changing the battery it’s possible that even though it’s new it may have been on the shelf long enough to have gotten drained.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Cobra
    Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:17 pm

Thanks Josh. It is the best helmet that Princess Auto sells. (Canadian HF). About $250 vs Miller at $300.
I set the sensitivity as high as it goes and the delay at long. Good thought on the battery. I swapped it out for a new and no help.
Jim
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Often the distance you are from the work effects an auto darkening helmet. Or, you could have a light source from behind you thats preventing the helmet from darkening.
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

I bought a Pro Point large view helmet with the exterior controls from Princess Auto and it flashed every time on mig. Batteries checked out fine. No questions asked exchange and the next one is fine. Assumed a defective sensor somewhere.
MarkL
    Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:09 pm

I had a helmet that had all 4 sensors along the bottom of the viewing window, so the sensors would often get blocked if the bottom of the helmet was below table top height, or behind a piece of whatever I was welding. I got a helmet that has sensors along the top and bottom of the viewing window, that eliminated most of the problem I had with flashes.
Lincoln Square Wave 200
Lincoln 225 AC/DC
Harris Oxy/Acetylene torch