Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

A lobe type oil charging pump I fitted up for a refrigeration plant to top up compressors came back for repair - locked up, only a few months old.
Turns out the customer was sneaky draining old oil out of the accumulators (pressure vessels) and pouring it into the new oil drums and pumping it back into the compressors to save some bux. Lobe pumps don't like gritty old oil. So I decided we need a fine strainer. Customer has one - please use it. No flanges, none in the country anymore in a male/female set (the danish are turning cheepskates expecting contractors to hold their stocks for them). Does this happen elsewhere or just OZ (the backside of the world)?

So I decide to weld steel screwed sockets onto the cast iron body. I have some EZ Weld Tig Rods which I thought to give a go.

Ground the strainers connections flat with a flapper disc. Cleaned up the sockets (1"). DCEN, argon, 150amps on the peddle but used probably only 100amps. The cast iron spat and sparkled a bit, no pre-heat as recommended. The run went in somewhat OK, heard no chinking but was only game to put one pass in. Not going into pressure service so that does not matter. Not the prettiest weld but it holds hard and does not leak so all good. Here's some pics.
CS1.jpg
CS1.jpg (65.12 KiB) Viewed 635 times
CS2.jpg
CS2.jpg (57.4 KiB) Viewed 635 times
CS3.jpg
CS3.jpg (95.43 KiB) Viewed 635 times
CS4.jpg
CS4.jpg (68.88 KiB) Viewed 635 times
CS6.jpg
CS6.jpg (60.96 KiB) Viewed 635 times
CS7.jpg
CS7.jpg (100.4 KiB) Viewed 635 times
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

We have to order our companion flanges from a supplier in the Midwest us. Takes about 2-4 days for sizes 1/2 up to 5 inch. I’ve never ordered them any bigger than that.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

I guess that’s better than not getting them at all but it still sux.

Sent using Tapatalk
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Requires planning that’s for sure. Fortunately we have several accounts that stock some odds and ends. So in a real bind I can usually find at least one set somewhere, then just replace what I borrowed.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Nice work Coldie...necessity is the mother, etc.

Moz