Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
bobingarage
    Tue May 17, 2011 2:53 pm

Hello Group,
I am new here, been watching the videos, great stuff. Been welding TIG for a long time, mostly steel, recent projects have brought me to Aluminum.
I hope someone can help me with this Arc Start issue I have been having. Info - Dynasty 200DX, AC, HF start, remote foot pedal, 30% positive, 100-150Hz, pure Tungsten. Welding Aluminum with proper prep / cleaning. With newly sharpened Tungsten, I get a fairly quick and clean Arc Start. But the Arc Starts after that first one are very very difficult and erratic. Even with a clean electrode. If I replace the tunsten with a fresh sharpened one, I get a good start. So I keep several fresh tungsten handy.
Why are my 2nd Arc Starts so diffcult?
I have checked eventhing, grounds cables, connections, gas flow, everthing is clean. I can actually see the HF starting arc, but it won't kick over to the main welding arc.
When I weld steel with DC negative, everything work perfect. Problem is only on AC.
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

Hello Group,
I am new here, been watching the videos, great stuff. Been welding TIG for a long time, mostly steel, recent projects have brought me to Aluminum.
I hope someone can help me with this Arc Start issue I have been having. Info - Dynasty 200DX, AC, HF start, remote foot pedal, 30% positive, 100-150Hz, pure Tungsten. Welding Aluminum with proper prep / cleaning. With newly sharpened Tungsten, I get a fairly quick and clean Arc Start. But the Arc Starts after that first one are very very difficult and erratic. Even with a clean electrode. If I replace the tunsten with a fresh sharpened one, I get a good start. So I keep several fresh tungsten handy.
Why are my 2nd Arc Starts so diffcult?
I have checked eventhing, grounds cables, connections, gas flow, everthing is clean. I can actually see the HF starting arc, but it won't kick over to the main welding arc.
When I weld steel with DC negative, everything work perfect. Problem is only on AC.
Firstly, if your machine has HF continuous, be sure its set to that and not just start. I dont know if the Dynasty's have continuous or not cause I never used one, but I think they do. Secondly, get some lanthanated tungsten instead of pure. Like Jody says, Pure Tungsten is Pure Crap :) See if that helsp.
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
ronnie01
    Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:09 pm

Read your manual pure tungsten is not used with an inverter welder. Thoriated or others not pure.Sharpen to a point and weld on I have a dynasty 200dx welds alum great no problems.