Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Junior Welder
    Wed May 30, 2018 5:15 pm

So i don’t even have a tig welder yet, but I sure would love to learn! I was wondering, since there are different grades of alluminium and stainless do you need to have different filler wires as well or can you use the same? Like using the same filler for 6061 and 7075?

Thanks!
I'm a 9th grade student teaching myself how to weld.

ESAB Migmaster 250 (MIG)

Miller Two Fifty Twin (Stick)
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

yes you need different filler for different grades, but there is also some cross over. so one filler can do several different grades. there is a few charts around of what goes with what.

typically use a couple of common grades of filler which covers most stuff. then you only have to get the odd special filler for the weird stuff that comes in.
don't forget sizes as well.
even with just the common grades you can end up with a collection of different filler.
tweak it until it breaks
Junior Welder

Thanks for your reply!
Now what do you do if you weld a pice of scrap or need to make an repair on apiece of metal of unknown grade?

ESAB Migmaster 250 (MIG)

Junior Welder

I hoped that there would only be one type of filler as it would be cheaper to get less different grades and because my preferred weld store is over 100km away ( stuff is a LOT cheaper there) I don’t go there all that often.

ESAB Migmaster 250 (MIG)

Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:48 pm

Iv'e been using 4943 or 5356 lately just depends on what the parts intended use is, 7075 is considered a non weldable aluminum alloy in most cases.
Pete

Esab SVI 300, Mig 4HD wire feeder, 30A spool gun, Miller Passport, Dynasty 300 DX, Coolmate 4, Spectrum 2050, C&K Cold Wire feeder WF-3, Black Gold Tungsten Sharperner, Prime Weld 225
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

http://www.harrisproductsgroup.com/~/me ... ection.pdf
SS filler chart.
I don’t have one for aluminum but there’s got to be one out there.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Antorcha
    Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:57 am

Junior Welder wrote:So i don’t even have a tig welder yet, but I sure would love to learn! I was wondering, since there are different grades of alluminium and stainless do you need to have different filler wires as well or can you use the same? Like using the same filler for 6061 and 7075?

Thanks!
Don't teach yourself how to weld. You'll only teach yourself bad habits.Enter a course The need to ask this very question is absurd. Put down your iPhone and go do some reading
kiwi2wheels
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

Antorcha wrote:
Junior Welder wrote:So i don’t even have a tig welder yet, but I sure would love to learn! I was wondering, since there are different grades of alluminium and stainless do you need to have different filler wires as well or can you use the same? Like using the same filler for 6061 and 7075?

Thanks!
Don't teach yourself how to weld. You'll only teach yourself bad habits.Enter a course The need to ask this very question is absurd. Put down your iPhone and go do some reading
+1. And for reading, treat yourself to a copy of this book.

https://www.amazon.com/Gas-Tungsten-Arc ... FT14A0VGMM
Demented
    Sun May 06, 2018 11:51 pm

Antorcha wrote:

Thanks!
Not asking questions like that is why anyone, whether self taught or taught by an instructor, learns bad habits. Unless someone shows an absolute refusal to listen when asking questions, there should never bee anything absurd about asking questions, no matter how dumb they may seem.
"Your welds should sound like bacon. If your welds smell like bacon, you're on fire." - Uncle Bumblefuck (AvE)
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

Not having read/researched a question before asking(insert whatever).
Just asking questions without a basic knowledge is a waste of time for both questioned and questioner.
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
tweake

Antorcha wrote:Don't teach yourself how to weld. You'll only teach yourself bad habits.Enter a course The need to ask this very question is absurd. Put down your iPhone and go do some reading
your crap attitude just pisses me off :evil:
i would rather have them ask a stupid question than not to ask at all.

not everyone is in a position to be taught by anyone else. besides who said the teacher would be any good ??
even for me, i have access to families workshop where they weld every day. they havn't taught me any welding because i don't have the time to go there and they don't have the staff to spare. and now i'm already doing welding they can't do.
tweak it until it breaks
kiwi2wheels

tweake wrote:
Antorcha wrote:Don't teach yourself how to weld. You'll only teach yourself bad habits.Enter a course The need to ask this very question is absurd. Put down your iPhone and go do some reading
your crap attitude just pisses me off :evil:

not everyone is in a position to be taught by anyone else. besides who said the teacher would be any good ??
even for me, i have access to families workshop where they weld every day. they havn't taught me any welding because i don't have the time to go there and they don't have the staff to spare. and now i'm already doing welding they can't do.
As far as I am aware, all countries have books .............. :roll:

And then consider that the question was asked on this forum, one of the best on-line sources available.
tweake

kiwi2wheels wrote: As far as I am aware, all countries have books .............. :roll:

And then consider that the question was asked on this forum, one of the best on-line sources available.
books or Internet, use what you can.

but we all start somewhere and have questions to ask. much better to ask and people point you in the right direction.
if your to much of a professional to reply to the questions, thats fine. theres others that will help.

but the name of the game is to help, not to tell them to bugger off and go read somewhere else.
tweak it until it breaks
Demented

kiwi2wheels wrote:As far as I am aware, all countries have books .............. :roll:

As far as I am aware, these forums are here for people to ask questions to learn. Unlike some of the other forums, questions are usually well received here from what I have noticed, and THAT is why this is one of the best on-line resources available.
"Your welds should sound like bacon. If your welds smell like bacon, you're on fire." - Uncle Bumblefuck (AvE)
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

tweake wrote: your crap attitude just pisses me off :evil:

Quite right, Tweake. It is very possible the guy has no one from whom to learn, may not have resources locally, or is simply the type of person who asks rudimentary questions because he has no experience.

FFS, if you don't care to respond constructively, then move along and don't engage in the thread. :roll: There is no requirement that all questions need to be posted once a certain criteria of knowledge is obtained. Nor must you respond to posts to maintain your own membership. Try being a good "citizen" of a public forum and lend a hand when you can, and bottle up your own vitriol for the shaving mirror.
kiwi2wheels

Deleted
Last edited by kiwi2wheels on Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kiwi2wheels

cj737 wrote: Quite right, Tweake. It is very possible the guy has no one from whom to learn, may not have resources locally, or is simply the type of person who asks rudimentary questions because he has no experience.

FFS, if you don't care to respond constructively, then move along and don't engage in the thread. :roll: There is no requirement that all questions need to be posted once a certain criteria of knowledge is obtained. Nor must you respond to posts to maintain your own membership. Try being a good "citizen" of a public forum and lend a hand when you can, and bottle up your own vitriol for the shaving mirror.
Jeez, the question was posted on http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/ ...............unless you don't consider that to be legitimate source...... :roll:

And FYI, prior to the advent of the internet, schools and books still existed, and people still learned. The relentless march of technology and learning never faltered.

Have a nice day.
Demented

kiwi2wheels wrote:
cj737 wrote: Quite right, Tweake. It is very possible the guy has no one from whom to learn, may not have resources locally, or is simply the type of person who asks rudimentary questions because he has no experience.

Jeez, the question was posted on http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/ ...............unless you don't consider that to be legitimate source...... :roll:

And FYI, prior to the advent of the internet, schools and books still existed, and people still learned. The relentless march of technology and learning never faltered.

Have a nice day.