Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Mike Westbrook
    Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:13 pm

I got my little Miller hf 251 out the other day and for the first time It wouldn't make hf so I opened up the back and noticed that the gaps are super corroded my question is what's the best way to clean them without damaging them ImageImage

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Cutting torch hammer and a full vocabulary
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I like to remove them completely, chuck 'em in a drill press (a mill is better), and run them against a flat stone like you'd sharpen a knife with.

Steve
Mike Westbrook

Thanks for the input I think that's what I'll try I have some 1600 grit that may work in the drill press I just wasn't sure if they had a mirror finish to them or it they looked smooth gray like a tungsten if you read the manual it basically says to toss them and get new at this point it's worth a try if not a new set is around 50.00 .......thanks

Mike Westbrook

Chucked them in the drill press and wet sanded with 1600 grit then cleaned with acetone worked perfectly !Image

Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Glad to hear it, Mike!
I don't recall where I got that tip from, but it was probably here. I use this method at work as our machines see a lot of abuse, and it's always worked for me, even with the sloppy, worn out, 10-year-old Harbor Freight drill press we have.

Steve