Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
hotmetal
    Fri May 06, 2011 10:44 am

Hi again now i managed to get a good root with my tig with carbon and managed to get it looking nice . I have now started to practise on stainless i know it closes on you and ther are ways of stopping this and also about purging the pipe . i have started with a feathered edge on 2inch pipe sch 10 as it is the only stuff in the workshop going spare at the mo . So any tips would be great just trying to make myself a better welder .
rickbreezy
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:08 pm

Whats the question?
hotmetal

how do i get my root run in stainless looking like a single bead run on a piece of plate
rickbreezy
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:08 pm

Well, are you getting enough gas flow to your pipe joint? When I did stainless pipe, we had a seperate line of argon(i think) going to the the inside of the pipe, blocked off with masking tape. You have to have a double purge gas flow situation with stainless roots, especially on pipes, or really any type of open root situation where the gas can escape or disperse.

Otherwise you will get a really saggy grey weld that sucks.

Does that help any?

-Rick
hotmetal

Yeah purging the pipe with another pipe off the flow meter on a y piece and masking up the end of the pipes and putting tape around the butt and peeling it off as i go along . done a few root passes today and they were ok better than my last ones