Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
StephanusThie
    Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:55 am

I'm planing to buy a new auto darkening helmet, heard that Miller Elite Series is good(355$). Digital elite is better but more pricey(389$).
Can't afford it. Do a little search on the internet, found Lincoln Viking Black 2450 is almost the same specs with Elite Series, but a little more weight, the price is cheap(205$).
I need to know if anybody here have both of it? Which one is better with cheap price? Is Viking capable of sensing the low amperage of inverter tig welder? Ever get flashed when using Viking?
Please give me any opinion, much is better. Thank you guys in advance.
Miller Syncrowave 250 DX
Hypertherm Powermax65
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

I have a Miller Elite and like it a lot. It does everything I need it to do. If the Lincoln is comparable and less money, it's probably alright. How much heavier is the Lincoln than the Miller? that would be a deciding factor for me if its over a pound heavier. Thats a lot of extra weight and strain if you're wearing it all day. An oz. or two probably wouldn't be a deal killer.
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
StephanusThie
    Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:55 am

As I remember, Viking is 588gr and Elite is 510gr.
Have you ever get flashed when wearing Elite??
Need more info about Viking. Just to make comparison. Thanks!!
Miller Syncrowave 250 DX
Hypertherm Powermax65
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

The few times I've gotten flashed was when I forgot to turn it on. :oops: Other than that it's worked for tig, mig, stick and plasma. I've never used it for gas welding or cutting.
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

588 gm versus 510 gm (I assume you meant "grams", rather than "grains") is a difference of less than three ounces, so weight would not be a deal-breaker for me. I'd be looking at the number of sensors, reaction time, and sensitivity.

Also worth considering is battery type/availability, and longevity. Dead batteries can ruin your day unless you have spares readily available. Even with the solar-recharging hoods you should have spares available (or a back-up hood).

Moisture does not agree with many of these hoods, either, so if your job is outdoors, look in to the rain-resistance of the hood.

All this assumes you will be using the hood for work. For hobby use, you don't really need to spend so much to have satisfactory results.

Steve
jason.hwnd
    Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:33 am

The one thing I fucking HATE about this helmet (Digital Elite) is how freaking hard you need to press the "ON" button.

My neighbor (structural mig guy - packs a 600+ amp mig gun) has one too - we both like our helmets but hate pressing down with the required force for the ON button.

outside of that, i really like it. really do.
Miller Aerowave
kirkepc
    Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:18 am

jason.hwnd
    Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:33 am

kirkepc wrote:For me Lincoln Viking Black 2450 is better than Miller Elite Series

Okay, but why? If I were looking to buy a helmet - your feedback didn't really help me.
Lemme know why you prefer one over the other. :-)
Miller Aerowave
mathewdisoza
    Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:36 pm

StephanusThie wrote:I'm planing to buy a new auto darkening helmet, heard that Miller Elite Series is good(355$). Digital elite is better but more pricey(389$).
Can't afford it. Do a little search on the internet, found Lincoln Viking Black 2450 is almost the same specs with Elite Series, but a little more weight, the price is cheap(205$).
I need to know if anybody here have both of it? Which one is better with cheap price? Is Viking capable of sensing the low amperage of inverter tig welder? Ever get flashed when using Viking?
Please give me any opinion, much is better. Thank you guys in advance.
Elite series is good as it does everything you need.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hi check out a Speed Glas. They are the best you can get because that's all the make. Auto Darkening Shields. Good for hot work because there is a space between the clear outer lens and the welding lens.Go down nice and low on the right setting as well. Easy to turn on and with push button settings. Made by 3M. Pretty steep but absolutely worth every cent.
Mick
ogorir
    Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:04 pm

if you've got the coin, +1 on speedglas. my dad bought the cat's ass version with the belt respirator and the side windows a few years ago and it's really, really nice. the autodark lens flips up out of the way and there's a 4x6 clear plate behind it for grinding. the respirator keeps you cool, too, when you're stuffed up inside a wheel well or what have you.

I think he paid $1250, for it though.
wizard
    Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:35 am

My Viking is solar powered, no on/off switch. No flashes, with a huge weiwing window. cost me $205 shipped to Australia.
Ferrelli
    Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:54 am

Well when you compare the specs the viking is rigth there with the ellite. I have a speed glass helment , but during the summer we both overheated and the lenses did this real neat swirl effect. Too much heat, its ruined. I bought a viking helment for what it offered at a great price. So far so good, I'm very happy with it. We have an elite in the shop, it's good too! I'm frugal so apenny saved is a penny earned.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hi there,

That sucks about your Speedglas. Did you make a warranty claim on it? Don't worry about your welding supplier, go straight to Speedglas (US or direct to Europe). I have contacted them before and they answered. They usually stand by their products pretty well. Always worth asking the question. Especially with the amount of money Speedglas lenses cost.

Mick