Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
maniago
    Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:51 pm

Trying to dial in my technique for .025" 6061 inside joints - for an aviation heat muff inlet/outlets, like the pic atched, which I bought. Having no luck tho as the arc is all over the place and best I can even get a puddle is on .050", but in order to stabilize the arc, I have to way over heat the metal (second pic).

Miller Dynasty 200Dx, 50amp, 100%Argon, 3/32lantanated (cant get smaller to stabilize at all and overheat the W if I try), 30 deg grind with small flat, 15cfh, #6Cup w/gas lens, 1/16" 4043 rod.

Am I inthe right ballpark settings wise? And is a super anal cleaning procedure the key? I scrub with a dedicated stainless brush, but def not over the top......

Thanks for any help!
Attachments
IMG_3908.JPG
IMG_3908.JPG (57.28 KiB) Viewed 911 times
IMG_3909.JPG
IMG_3909.JPG (63.83 KiB) Viewed 911 times
Warrenh
    Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:31 pm

I would sharpen my tungsten to a point on something that thin and you might have to angle your torch forward some so all the heat isn't directed into the joint. Keep your stick out to about 3/16. I assume you have a pedal to control the heat.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

I have had better luck with things like this using a #4 or #5 cup, no gas lens (isn't really needed that small anyway) and running the freq up to 150Hz for a tighter arc profile. You could also really crank it up to 200Hz and blast tack. opposite side, tack, and keep adding tacks to minimize the heat input.

Any way you could use thinner wire too? The heat needed for 1/16 is far above the heat required for the weld. Maybe some 0.035 MIG wire?

Does the 200dx have the triangular wave form? That will help with thin Al. Also using the pulsar can reduce heat input
Richard
Website
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

LtBadd wrote:Does the 200dx have the triangular wave form? That will help with thin Al. Also using the pulsar can reduce heat input
I don’t believe so. I think it was not until the 210dx that the SD card slot became available and software updates were possible. At least mine (200dx) doesn’t :cry:
'Stang
    Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:12 pm

cj737 wrote:
LtBadd wrote:Does the 200dx have the triangular wave form? That will help with thin Al. Also using the pulsar can reduce heat input
I don’t believe so. I think it was not until the 210dx that the SD card slot became available and software updates were possible. At least mine (200dx) doesn’t :cry:
Your Dynasty should have the triangular waveform. I have the 200DX also, and I have the four waveforms. You just have to go into the hidden menu to access the waveforms. Just hold the A button below the encoder knob and press the adjust button on the bottom. The hidden menu will come up. The all you do is click the adjust button until waveforms comes up. Select with the encoder knob-then press the A button below the encoder knob. Hope this helps.
Valweld
    Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:37 pm
    Kimberling City , Missouri Or Branson , Missouri

Yeah ,try the hidden menu you can adjust a lot of stuff!I would use some . 035 mig
wire also. But most definitely adjust your start up ,or use triangular wave. Good times ! Please let us know how it goes and post pictures. Thanks
Valweld
I’m not done yet ! I’m just warmin’ up on my life achievements! Where are the smart people at besides here?? Wat am I doin on here again! Go glue sumpten.
——————-ALWAYS TAKE PRIDE IN YOUR WORK!!!!!!—————————-