Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

Hey Guys,

Been a while but I got a question I am hoping you can help me with.

I have a Cleveland steamer where the boiler holds a maximum of 15 PSI, not very dramatic but the top of it has cracks all over the place. If I had pictures of it, I would show them to you.

This is now the 2nd time it's done this, first time I pulled it out, welded what I could and it was difficult and weird, then I realized it was nickel plated and that probably was why it was tricky. But I did what I could and it worked.

Now I am guessing there's more stuff to fix up, I want to get it replaced but its about 5K for a new one and I don't even want to guess at the lead time so I want to do something to keep her up and running.

SO! For nickel plated steel, how should I do it? Braze? Stick? Mig? TIG? I got equipment for all of it, I can do all of it, I just don't know what the best way is, hoping someone here does.
if there's a welder, there's a way

Hey Olivero, good to hear from you.

You did the repair last time, what was your process and procedure?

Is this the same unit needing repair?

New cracks or the ones you did before?

I'm thinking TIG with 309 or 312 filler
Richard
Website
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Probably coopernickle
I have more questions than answers

Josh

LtBadd wrote:Hey Olivero, good to hear from you.

You did the repair last time, what was your process and procedure?

Is this the same unit needing repair?

New cracks or the ones you did before?

I'm thinking TIG with 309 or 312 filler
You as well, been a while since I was on here.

Yes I did, but it was a pain and it didn't feel right, you know? There's that weld that just runs right, cools right and looks right. This wasn't it.

It was like something was off, I don't know, it's like welding cast steel almost, it kind of bubbles and puffed up and didn't really want to flow and it smelled so weird. I tried AC and DC adjusting AC balance trying to figure out which way to go with it.

I was really trying to figure out what it was, I can smell if someone's welding aluminum, steel or stainless walking into my shop but I couldn't identify this one.

It's probably new cracks, I am going to yank the boiler tomorrow and perform some surgery it's a low pressure unit so I doubt it blew out my welds but as we all know, when there are cracks in water tanks, more will follow soon enough and it's only a matter of time.

I have 308 and 316 S.S filler, I would prefer not having to get anything new but I can if it will really make a difference, just means running to the store, lol.
Poland308

If you want to try brazing it, and if it is some kind of SS. Then you will need a filler that has 45% silver or higher. You can get it at any HVAC supply house, but it’s not cheap.

Josh

Poland308 wrote:If you want to try brazing it, and if it is some kind of SS. Then you will need a filler that has 45% silver or higher. You can get it at any HVAC supply house, but it’s not cheap.
Okay, I don't care particularly which route I take on welding or brazing it, just want to do what's best with it.

Alright, I pulled it out and here's the results.
Top view of the boiler, the holes are tubes going to the bottom, they are the heat exchanger
Top view of the boiler, the holes are tubes going to the bottom, they are the heat exchanger
DSC00278 (Medium).jpg (55.6 KiB) Viewed 1495 times
One of the holes after I drilled it until it was thick metal all around it.
One of the holes after I drilled it until it was thick metal all around it.
DSC00285 (Medium).jpg (50.16 KiB) Viewed 1495 times
DSC00286 (Medium).jpg
DSC00286 (Medium).jpg (50.93 KiB) Viewed 1495 times
DSC00287 (Medium).jpg
DSC00287 (Medium).jpg (44.29 KiB) Viewed 1495 times
DSC00288 (Medium).jpg
DSC00288 (Medium).jpg (41.58 KiB) Viewed 1495 times
DSC00292 (Medium).jpg
DSC00292 (Medium).jpg (50.21 KiB) Viewed 1495 times
DSC00293 (Medium).jpg
DSC00293 (Medium).jpg (49.3 KiB) Viewed 1495 times
Silica Bronze was the way to go, I tried 316 S.S and I tried 308 S.S and they were cracking when cooling. Silica bronze held its soft ground till the very end. 20 patches.... Oh the fun.
Poland308

I hope you are aware that that is the pressure vessel side of the system. You need to be covered under a R stamp program. If your not and you put it in operation you become liable for any and all damage to persons or property! As well it is a punishable by law offense. I recommend you do a little legal research before you put that into operation.

Josh
Poland308

I originally thought you were referring to repairing the outer skin. But after seeing the pictures I can’t recommend brazing. There are specific WPS that need to be engineered and certified based on the original manufacturer specs. Theses kind of repairs might well be within your skill level but need to be recertified and hydro tested with certified, and documented equipment. Even then it’s often required that a third party inspector sign off on it. You also need to be approved to apply a new name plate on the vesel.

Josh

Poland308 wrote:I originally thought you were referring to repairing the outer skin. But after seeing the pictures I can’t recommend brazing. There are specific WPS that need to be engineered and certified based on the original manufacturer specs. Theses kind of repairs might well be within your skill level but need to be recertified and hydro tested with certified, and documented equipment. Even then it’s often required that a third party inspector sign off on it. You also need to be approved to apply a new name plate on the vesel.
Yeah, I am aware of this, I am an in house technician and this is a 15 PSI steamer, it's not a high pressure vessel which I believe I mentioned in the original post, at worst, it'll leak steam again so I am not worried.

A replacement boiler will follow but this will keep the chefs steaming until it can get here.

Poland308 wrote:I originally thought you were referring to repairing the outer skin. But after seeing the pictures I can’t recommend brazing. There are specific WPS that need to be engineered and certified based on the original manufacturer specs. Theses kind of repairs might well be within your skill level but need to be recertified and hydro tested with certified, and documented equipment. Even then it’s often required that a third party inspector sign off on it. You also need to be approved to apply a new name plate on the vesel.
Yeah, I am aware of this, I am an in house technician and this is a 15 PSI steamer, it's not a high pressure vessel which I believe I mentioned in the original post, at worst, it'll leak steam again so I am not worried.

A replacement boiler will follow but this will keep the chefs steaming until it can get here.

Just put it back in operation, seems to be doing much better, no hissing sounds no indication of much leakage, doesn't frequently recycle the burners and refill.

Seems like it went fairly well. Now I'll order a replacement.