Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
troytempest
    Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:53 am

Hi folks,

I’m looking for any recommendations that can be made regarding which gloves to pick up for TIG.

I have small hands (medium size in nitrile gloves is just about a tight fit to give you an idea) and I can’t stand having little tactile feedback through gloves.

What gloves can people point me towards that are provided for this kind of fitment and don’t feel like a pair of boxing gloves when it comes to holding the torch and filler wire?

Cheers,
Troy.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

The thinner the glove, the higher the heat. I've used simple deerskin, unlined gloves that worked well for low amp welding. I've used pricey $35/pair "TIGSTER" gloves for thick ally, and about everything in between. They all shrink in due time when exposed to the heat of welding. So fitment for your smaller hands will get better as the gloves get used.

As for dexterity and tactile sensitivity, an unlined glove made of Kangaroo or Deerskin would likely be the most "responsive" I'd reckon. If you're diligent, swapping them on/off while doing prep work and limiting them purely for arc time, you can extend their life. But it requires utmost diligence.
    Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:30 am

I allus prefer loose fitting gloves so I can shake them off QUICKLY if/when they get hot, , , ,

-c-

Look! a hole in the space-time continuum!
    Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:48 pm

I have had good luck with Tillman. https://www.bakersgas.com/JOH24CRHO.htm ... grEALw_wcB
And Millers as well.
Pete

Esab SVI 300, Mig 4HD wire feeder, 30A spool gun, Miller Passport, Dynasty 300 DX, Coolmate 4, Spectrum 2050, C&K Cold Wire feeder WF-3, Black Gold Tungsten Sharperner, Prime Weld 225
Warrenh
    Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:31 pm

My favorite right now is the steiner mega tig glove. They have a thin palm and a foam back to keep the heat off the back of your hand. They also have a seamless thumb.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

Warrenh wrote:My favorite right now is the steiner mega tig glove. They have a thin palm and a foam back to keep the heat off the back of your hand. They also have a seamless thumb.

Got a link to buy these?
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
Warrenh
    Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:31 pm

I find them on amazon. About 15 dollars.

Steiner 0230-L Mega TIG Gloves, Grain Kidskin Foam Back Unlined Palm Cuff, Large https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004GKNF7U/re ... 4BbWN4GDQ1

Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

Thanks!
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
troytempest
    Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:53 am

Thanks for the input so far guys.

Some of the gloves you have recommended look good, issue is getting hold of them in the UK!

I’ll choose a set and purchase, then see how I get on!

Troy.
Lightning
    Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:55 pm

My favorite are pigskin gloves. They're thin, the leather is somewhat stretchy, giving a good fit, and they used to be fairly cheap, but I don't think Tillman makes them anymore. I got several pairs when Tillman discontinued them. If you can find some, they're nice. Maybe check ebay.
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

If you want thin / soft gloves with dexterity as the main priority rather than heat protection at high amps then look for gardening gloves - you can easily find very soft stretchy leather gloves with elasticated backs allowing movement & good fit even here in the UK - price is usually better than Tig gloves as well - you have to get them while on offer but Aldi have some nice ones - if you missed them try Bunning - their not as cheap but usually keep a good selection.