Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

My Miller Elite may be on it's last legs so I may have to buy a new hood. I have been looking at the Speedglas 9100xxi but as always I have found some issues with the ADF that *some* people have reported where it goes into dark mode and you have to cycle it to get it back to where you had it.

I have looked at the Optrel e684 too but it only has a 2 year warranty. (edit: 2+1 year if registered) Will it last a long time if not abused? Or the Optrel panoramaxx? I like the True Color on the Optrel models. How do they compare to the Speedglas?

So, for transformer and inverter tig what would be the current best 2 or 3 top hoods? I also wear reading glasses and would need the space to wear them in the hood and also a slot for a cheater as the old eyes ain't what they used to be.
Thanks
Last edited by electrode on Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
electrode

Well after some more research I am leaning towards the Speedglas 9100xxi. ;)

I have the Optrel e684 and like it, never used the Speedglas but many have wrote good reviews. Optrel has the new Crystal 2.0 but I think it's only claim is the 2.0 light shade for grinding, which I don't do with a welding hood on
Richard
Website
DennisCA
    Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:58 am

I am in the same situation and I have been looking at several helmets. I feel like I really want to like the Lincoln VIking 3350, great optics and specs, huge viewing area, and I like the look of it. But I am wary of reading too many negatives of the build quality and battery problems.

So I looked at the Optrel E684 and I have seen several reviews of that now which details problems and that also turns me off it. Lots of positives about both of these helmets but one negative opinion can overpower a thousand positive ones...

I am very vary of having to deal with any warranty issues, or worse it breaking outside warranty. I will buy this probably online from somewhere in the EU, whereever it's cheapest, that won't hold true if I gotta ship the damn thing back and forth, reading some people have gotten several malfunctioning helmets in a row. So build quality is something I am looking for, I feel it ought to last a decade or more, 5 years is unacceptable IMO. My cheap chinese helmet has lasted 5 years without problems, it's just not very high quality and is uncomfortable, the potentiometer is wired wrong so when I adjust the shade it goes opposite of the scale.

Speedglas I think has a better reputation, or so is my unscientific impression based on reading dozens of forum threads on the internet. But I feel you are paying more for the name and for a smaller window and not the latest optical tech. In that case I might go for a local helmet made by Kemppi...

DennisCA wrote: Lots of positives about both of these helmets but one negative opinion can overpower a thousand positive ones...
No one wants to pay good money for a product, then have problems...that said any product, no matter how carefully manufactured, is going to have some with a quality issue.

As far as a negative review, when reading any review we really don't know anything about the writer, even someone writing a positive review may overlook something that, to you, would be a problem.
Richard
Website
electrode

LtBadd wrote:I have the Optrel e684 and like it, never used the Speedglas but many have wrote good reviews. Optrel has the new Crystal 2.0 but I think it's only claim is the 2.0 light shade for grinding, which I don't do with a welding hood on
Thanks Richard. I am still thinking the Speedglas 9100XXi and will likely buy it in the next week or before the 1st of the year...
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

I still have an old speedglas which is working but I've had to cut it apart to remove metallic dust that stopped it working & it has some odd blotches in the LCD bit - it's the old fixed shade model so not much good for Tig but I use it most days for anything else - takes a really hard to find 12volt battery but it lasts for years - mate that shares a barn with me has had several newer models & had progressively shorter & shorter life out of them usually like a day over the warranty period & will never have another - he now has a Kemppi & swears by it - it's a few years old & not treated that well but still going strong - think you can get lucky or unlucky with any make so it's really down to personal choice / availability locally / price & what you find comfortable.
DennisCA

LtBadd wrote:No one wants to pay good money for a product, then have problems...that said any product, no matter how carefully manufactured, is going to have some with a quality issue.

As far as a negative review, when reading any review we really don't know anything about the writer, even someone writing a positive review may overlook something that, to you, would be a problem.
True there's no such thing as a sure thing... After reading and research I think I it's either the ESAB Sentinel A50 for me, or the Optrel E684. The Optrel is more expensive but it has the auto function which I think can be really useful when tig welding. So it depends, is the auto function worth it... The Esab is apparently made in Taiwan and the Optrel in Switzerland.

DennisCA wrote: True there's no such thing as a sure thing... After reading and research I think I it's either the ESAB Sentinel A50 for me, or the Optrel E684. The Optrel is more expensive but it has the auto function which I think can be really useful when tig welding. So it depends, is the auto function worth it... The Esab is apparently made in Taiwan and the Optrel in Switzerland.
The A50 has gotten good reviews as well, I haven't tried one but would like to.

All my welding at home is bench TIG welding and that's when I use the e684, so it doesn't see a rough shop environment like many guys/gals are in, believe it or not I haven't tried the auto function, I just set the shade I want and weld.
At work I use a pre-clearlight Digital Infinity, again almost 100% TIG welding.

I think by now all hood manufacturers know they have to have a true color lens if they want to sell hoods, whatever you decide to buy I hope your do a product review and let us know your opinion.
Richard
Website
    Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:52 am

I've been thinking about either a Speedglass xxi or the new Optrel myself. My Miller Elite just eats batteries every 2 weeks and after going through 30 batteries from digikey I am done with it as a main hood.

Can anyone comment on if either helmet fits a 3m 7500 medium with 2097 filters? I like to have a respirator on under my hood.
'Stang
    Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:12 pm

I have both the Esab A50, and the Optrel E684. They are both great hoods. They are both very clear and have a large viewing area. The Optrel is better for tig due to it's auto adjustment feature. Both have the same downside-the unique outer cover lens.
DennisCA

Pulled the trigger on an Esab A50 today. Found a good deal near me.
BillM
    Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:40 am

I just purchased the new panoramic hood from Eastwood. I've only used it for about 30 minutes before I was called to work out of state Friday night. So far the best dang hood I've ever owned.
electrode

The more I research the more I wait to buy a new hood. :lol: I am even thinking about the Viking 3350 now.
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

I have the Lincoln Viking 3350 with 2.0 cheaters and wearing prescription bi- focal and I still have no depth perception. (the joys of getting old) Everything is very sharp though. It's a good helmet best I've had. I love the large lens.
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
electrode

tungstendipper wrote:I have the Lincoln Viking 3350 with 2.0 cheaters and wearing prescription bi- focal and I still have no depth perception. (the joys of getting old) Everything is very sharp though. It's a good helmet best I've had. I love the large lens.

I wear readers so I need cheaters. :D Getting older myself. Have you had any issues with battery problems? I read enough where people say the battery life can be 2 weeks or 6 months with no rhyme or reason for it.

electrode wrote:The more I research the more I wait to buy a new hood. :lol: I am even thinking about the Viking 3350 now.
What, you got hood envy? :lol: :lol:
Richard
Website
electrode

LtBadd wrote:
electrode wrote:The more I research the more I wait to buy a new hood. :lol: I am even thinking about the Viking 3350 now.
What, you got hood envy? :lol: :lol:
Well I guess so. ;) It seems the 1-1-1-1 vs the 1-1-1-2 issues and the 3 vs 4 sensors and the battery only vs battery = solar and the reviews can be time consuming to sort out. Then throw in the proprietary odd shaped cover lenses and other consumables vs the standard ones...it can make sorting this out quite the task. :D
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

electrode wrote:
tungstendipper wrote:I have the Lincoln Viking 3350 with 2.0 cheaters and wearing prescription bi- focal and I still have no depth perception. (the joys of getting old) Everything is very sharp though. It's a good helmet best I've had. I love the large lens.

I wear readers so I need cheaters. :D Getting older myself. Have you had any issues with battery problems? I read enough where people say the battery life can be 2 weeks or 6 months with no rhyme or reason for it.
It's been a year on the same battery. Don't use it everyday.
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
electrode

tungstendipper wrote:
electrode wrote:

It's been a year on the same battery. Don't use it everyday.
Sounds good. Thanks.
RPat
    Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:30 pm

Hi ya'll. When I upgraded to a Miller 252 welder, I also bought the Miller Digital Infinity Series (Stars & Stripes). I negotiated a very good deal on both and love the helmet. Keeping in mind I don't use it full time, the times I do use it, I LIKE IT VERY MUCH! The head gear has an additional strap which helps to keep it in place. Viewing area is very large, has many bells/whistles which are nice. Here's a link if interested: https://www.millerwelds.com/safety/helm ... ets-m30025

RPat wrote:Hi ya'll. When I upgraded to a Miller 252 welder, I also bought the Miller Digital Infinity Series (Stars & Stripes). I negotiated a very good deal on both and love the helmet. Keeping in mind I don't use it full time, the times I do use it, I LIKE IT VERY MUCH! The head gear has an additional strap which helps to keep it in place. Viewing area is very large, has many bells/whistles which are nice. Here's a link if interested: https://www.millerwelds.com/safety/helm ... ets-m30025
Is it the clearlight lens? If so what do you think?
Richard
Website
electrode

RPat wrote:Hi ya'll. When I upgraded to a Miller 252 welder, I also bought the Miller Digital Infinity Series (Stars & Stripes). I negotiated a very good deal on both and love the helmet. Keeping in mind I don't use it full time, the times I do use it, I LIKE IT VERY MUCH! The head gear has an additional strap which helps to keep it in place. Viewing area is very large, has many bells/whistles which are nice. Here's a link if interested: https://www.millerwelds.com/safety/helm ... ets-m30025

I was looking at the Miller Digital Infinity Series today again and it does look good and has X-Mode which is a plus. And TIG down to 3 amps I think. I was going to try some other brand because I already have the Miller Elite that has lasted 10 years but I wanted something with clear view technology and there are many competitors. I wish there were only 3 brands to choose from. :lol: But the miller is rated 1-1-1-2 and I was hoping for 1-1-1-1.
electrode

Any reason not to buy this one other than the 1-1-1-2 rating?? I kind of like it. :)

https://store.cyberweld.com/miller-weld ... 007lk.html

vs this one:

https://www.bakersgas.com/LINK3428-3.html

electrode wrote:Any reason not to buy this one other than the 1-1-1-2 rating?? I kind of like it. :)

https://store.cyberweld.com/miller-weld ... 007lk.html

vs this one:

https://www.bakersgas.com/LINK3428-3.html
I know at one time I read an article of what each of the ratings category (ex. 1/1/1/1) related to, so I don't know what (if any) effect the last rating being 2 means, or if the human eye would ever tell the difference.

I think if you like it then you'll be happy with it, I would be interested to know how effective the light kit is.
Richard
Website