Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
WannaBeTigger
    Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:56 pm

I was wondering if anybody in the forum with Lincoln SW Tig 200 is using an aftermarket torch with a switch. I wanted to get a 26 series torch with a switch for the SW Tig 200 I just ordered. The Lincoln $400 switch is a little bit too much for me. Thank you all in advance
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

2 things: a 26 is a LARGE TORCH physically. You’d probably prefer a 17. It will support your machine’s limits happily.

Check out Tigcontrol.com. Variable amperage push button. I have begun using them on my MultiMatic and Dynasty and am really liking them.
WannaBeTigger
    Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:56 pm

Thanks, just sent Tigcontrol.com info request for model that fits my SW 200. For the size of the torch, I read in many reviews and forums that the 17 gets really hot and recommended going bigger that's why I was thinking about size 26 torch. Thanks.
cj737

A 17 will get hot with high amps and prolonged duty. But, it’s far more manageable than a 26. If you want the best of both worlds, a water-cooled 20 is a treat. You’ll need a water cooler, but it makes life simply pleasurable.

A 26 torch cable and torch are like having a Stick stinger in your hand and wrapping those leads around your arm and shoulder. Heavy, cumbersome and a PITA. I’ve got a 26 I use only in rare circumstances of needing to weld seriously thick ally.
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

cj737 wrote:A 17 will get hot with high amps and prolonged duty. But, it’s far more manageable than a 26. If you want the best of both worlds, a water-cooled 20 is a treat. You’ll need a water cooler, but it makes life simply pleasurable.

A 26 torch cable and torch are like having a Stick stinger in your hand and wrapping those leads around your arm and shoulder. Heavy, cumbersome and a PITA. I’ve got a 26 I use only in rare circumstances of needing to weld seriously thick ally.
X2!!! Get a cooler!!!
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

If you have a 200amp power source and you want to use it all you need a 26 torch.
First time you do some fab work fillets you're going to be punching 130-170 amps. A 17 torch is going to get mighty hot in your hand and if you do a lot it will melt.

Ideal situation is to have a 26 torch for fab work and save up for a ck flexlok 17 torch for lighter work like sheet metal but also gets to all the tight awkward spots. Believe me they happen.

Also if you practice up with the 26 torch it's not so cumbersome. I use mine all day. Sometimes I can't be bothered changing torches and do sheet stuff with the 26.
Put on the big boy pants and go for it.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Agree with Coldman -
if your expecting to use 150 amps for long or more & can't afford to go water cooled or need to stay portable then you need 2toches - a 17 is only rated generally 25amps more than a 9 & I don't really believe that as the power cables are usually the same - when you fry a torch it's almost always the end connection in the torch handle where the copper cable crimps to the brass I never melted a torch ( yet ! ) collets tend to suffer first unless the wedge style ( totally worth having ) only thing 17 brings to the party is large consumables so I don't get why they are so popular - I never went water cooled as I do have to drag the thing around sometimes so I leave a 9 & a 26 connected all the time & just turn the gas to the appropriate torch - anything big & particularly fillets I use the 26 - any small stainless like kitchen stuff / boat stuff or exhausts I use the 9 - works for me - except the odd time I have a "senior moment " & forget to swap the gas when swapping torches !
Warrenh
    Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:31 pm

I own the sq 200. I have the 26 torch and an arczone rotary control on top and a push button on bottom. It doesn't get hot like the original. I use it for aluminum and it takes all 200 amps. I would recommend the size 26 torch. You will have to buy an adapter for the dinse. It's from profax. I will look up the part number if you need it

Sent from my moto g(6) (XT1925DL) using Tapatalk
Warrenh
    Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:31 pm

Weldflame WP-26F-25R 25-ft 200Amp Air-Cooled TIG Welding Torch Flex-Head Ready-to-Go Package https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ABVH8EI/re ... vCbWYBAB06

Sent from my moto g(6) (XT1925DL) using Tapatalk
cj737

Coldman wrote:Put on the big boy pants and go for it.
:lol: Yeah, put on your big boy gloves and use a 17 like the rest of us Big Boys. I use a 17 99% of the time, even well above the rated 150 amps. The amount of time you’re actually welding with a TIG rig as hobbyist won’t damage the torch. It can get hot, but drop it in a quench bucket, blow some Argon through it, and weld away.

There’s all types of conditions where one size torch is beneficial over another. But in reality, your SW200 doesn’t have the duty cycle to run at 200 amps long enough to damage a torch before it will go into standby mode and cool itself off.

In the end, use what makes you comfortable and productive. I have a 9, 17 and 26 each on their own 25’ super flex cable for rapid changes. Each has a sweet spot with me, but the 17 is my daily driver for steel or ally.