Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
NJG3377
    Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:29 pm

I just spent hours trying to set up my machine to run Tig and I cant seem to get it to run even remotely well. The only thing I can think of is that my gas is contaminated at this point. But id like to be sure before I bring it back.

Im using a Pro Point multi function welder, works great for stick and Mig. But when i run Tig this is the result i get (see pic). It seems to run slightly better on the stainless piece but still gets a ridiculous amount of porosity. I've tried with and without filler.

I'm using a brand new full tank of Argon, the regulator that came with the machine, theres no leaks in the line, torch set up is tight, correct polarity, ground right on the test peices, I've used a standard #9 setup and a #8 with gas lens and gasket. Ive run the gas everywhere from 5-40, even had someone adjust it up/down while i used the torch. Brand new sharpened 2% 3/32 tungsten. And ive run the Amps from 40-120 with the same result across the board. Also theres no breeze. Im at a loss for what could be wrong other than the gas being contamintaed. That, or I used the same regulator and line for C25, but the amount of Argon ive put through the line its gotta be cleared out by now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated this is driving me nuts.
Attachments
weld test  (2).jpg
weld test (2).jpg (77.2 KiB) Viewed 3152 times
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

When you initiate the gas flow, do you hear and feel it leaving the torch cup? Wet your finger and wipe your cheek. Hold the cup to your cheek with the gas flowing. Your cheek should instantly get “cold”. All you need with a #8 cup is 10-15cfh maximum.

A picture of your machine would help. On my multiprocess box, the - plug has a small gas line hole in it, the TIG cable plugs into it. Is this how yours is setup as well? Is there a separate gas line connection that needs to be made? And you’re dead certain there’s Argon in the tank? What pressure is the regulator indicating for the tank side?
NJG3377

Yea I can feel and hear the gas flow. I've brought the gas down as low as 5 and slowly adjusted it up as I went. Tired all different angles and tungsten stick out. The tank is sitting at 9000. Its a Euro style connection, so it just screws on and all the lines are connected. (center port in pic). I think I'm just going to swap the tank out, if it still doesn't work ill just take it out back and smash it.
Attachments
giphy.gif
giphy.gif (979.77 KiB) Viewed 3112 times
welder.jpg
welder.jpg (49.82 KiB) Viewed 3112 times
    Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:48 pm

Have you tig welded with it prior to getting your tank of argon? Just wondering if worked prior to getting a new bottle of argon? If you have verified that there is the proper flow coming out of the cup and no air leaks any where I would try another bottle of argon.
Pete

Esab SVI 300, Mig 4HD wire feeder, 30A spool gun, Miller Passport, Dynasty 300 DX, Coolmate 4, Spectrum 2050, C&K Cold Wire feeder WF-3, Black Gold Tungsten Sharperner, Prime Weld 225
NJG3377

First time setting up Tig on this machine. That's why I've been doubting myself on it being the gas
Darrin
    Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:10 am

some gas lenses are absolute rubbish, I’d try with a standard set up( no gas lens) and see if there is any improvement, then if there is buy a good lens kit. I’ve tried a few that work on friends machines no problems and work like crap on mine. Worth a try?
Esseti AC/DC 200
Uni mig mini mig 180
Rossi ct 416 plasma
Toggatug
    Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:06 pm

Do you happen to have a warranty still valid for the machine?

I know princess doesn't give me a hard time with exchanges if something goes bad etc.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk