Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
rjr8009
    Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:23 pm

Does anyone know what that type of clamp is called. Looking to buys some.
Attachments
Untitledclamp.png
Untitledclamp.png (278.91 KiB) Viewed 1144 times
Find 3 hobbies: 1 to make you money, 1 to keep you in shape and 1 to keep you creative

It is what it is and it ain't what it ain't
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

Called a third hand. Make your own.
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
VA-Sawyer
    Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:56 am

Don't take that answer wrong. It is pretty standard to weld up your own when it comes to third hands. Make them in a size appropriate to the task at hand. I suggest a dab of silicone bronze at the tips to prevent arcing due to weak contact. Jody does a video where he forms a bird head out of SB for a contact point.
No sense dying with unused welding rod, so light 'em up!

A 3rd hand clamp can be made from many items you may have around the shop
20190415_082806.jpg
20190415_082806.jpg (38.86 KiB) Viewed 1017 times
Richard
Website
Lightning
    Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:55 pm

I've used railroad spikes to make third hands. I took two 10" pieces of 1/4" steel rod and welded them to the pointy end of the railroad spike for the legs, then welded a 6" piece of the same stuff to the head of the spike pointing down.

Kind of like this:

I also used the torch to melt some copper from romex wire onto the tip of each leg to improve electrical conductivity between my steel welding table and the workpiece.

If you spread out the rear legs (mine are about 12-14" apart), you'd be surprised how much you can stabilize a tall, skinny, rickety assembly while you tack it. For example, I've lengthened bolts by welding 1/4" or 3/8" steel rods in the middle of them, and they never would have stood up on their own. But with the 3rd hand you can stack them up and get them nice and straight and concentric, and if you don't bump the table, they'll stay there all day until you tack em. 3rd hand also helps if the bolt and rod are different diameters, too -- a piece of angle doesn't work very well for that situation.