Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
MFleet
    Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:26 am

I've read that people with light eye color may have problems and I do. Even at night, I don't leave home without sunglasses and I keep the computer monitors turned way down.

I'm working with aluminum up to 1/4" 90% of the time. The current unit is the older Miller Infinity (SKU: 271329) set to 12, delay 0, sensitivity 8. I have used 13 and it can work occasionally after I've been at it for 20-30 minutes. I keep the lenses fresh and clean and cover it when not in use. I'm otherwise very comfortable with the color and clarity of this unit, but this is the first one I've tried over $100. The main overhead light is offset so it doesn't shine into the hood. There is a low height, clamp light to give more coverage when needed. I'm still experimenting with the lighting.

No blur or severe burn, just mild haze afterwords, dry eye, itchy irritation. At times, 30 min. at the table is all it takes.

Thanks,
Jeff
Miller 350P w/Python
Miller Syncrowave 250DX - Beaterwave project
Hypertherm Powermax65
Hobby class lathe and milling machine
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

It may well be the Argon fumes giving you trouble. Fume extraction is an important consideration for any type of welding.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Do you wear your clear safety glasses under your hood? It will help filter out any stray harmful light. However, if you have light sensitivity issues in normal life, you may need more help than we can offer.

Best, Mick.
MFleet

Thanks fellas. It's good to find that you're both still around. I will give these ideas a go early next week.
Miller 350P w/Python
Hypertherm Powermax65
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

The lens should be blocking out any harmful radiation but perhaps just the sheer amount of light is bothering you.

I would just recommend darkening the lens more until you are comfortable, otherwise perhaps a happy medium of a pair of sunglasses and then a lighter shade in the helmet. But again, the lens will filter the harmful radiation even if it's just "off" at shade 3 or whatever it is, so the only thing I imagine it could be is the lens is still too light for you and the amount of light is causing you grief.

I've had similar feelings of irritation in my eyes but especially from fumes, not really just in general so I'm not sure what to say.
if there's a welder, there's a way
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

MFleet wrote: I'm working with aluminum up to 1/4" 90% of the time. The current unit is the older Miller Infinity (SKU: 271329) set to 12, delay 0, sensitivity 8.
bit late but something i noticed with my new helmet (cheapy as a spare) is that the delay setting is for the delay of the helmet turning OFF.
your problem may be because delay is on 0. try it at half setting or at the other end of the scale.
tweak it until it breaks
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

MFleet,
I'm going to throw a couple of ideas at you that are really obvious. Obvious enough to be missed. I'm going to ignore the eye color and go straight where I'd have gone if you hadn't mentioned it.
What color shirt do you wear when you weld? Light colored shirts reflect more light (and UV) into your hood.
What's going on around you? Are there reflective surfaces or other welders behind or beside you? Blocking back-light is as simple as a hand-towel and some adhesive Velcro strips to attach it to the back of your hood.

I realize none of this may apply, but it bears mentioning.

Steve
MFleet

I will put all of these Ideas to the test and I really appreciate it. I've mainly been doing tacking and 1/16 beads last week using shade 13 as much as possible. No eye problems last week. Thicker material and longer beads are in progress this week.

There is something rigged up to pull the fumes away and will continue to work on something of better quality. The delay is a good thought and I've bumped up that setting. It was probably set higher until my battery died not so long ago.
Otto Nobedder wrote:MFleet,
I'm going to throw a couple of ideas at you that are really obvious. Obvious enough to be missed. I'm going to ignore the eye color and go straight where I'd have gone if you hadn't mentioned it.
What color shirt do you wear when you weld? Light colored shirts reflect more light (and UV) into your hood.
What's going on around you? Are there reflective surfaces or other welders behind or beside you? Blocking back-light is as simple as a hand-towel and some adhesive Velcro strips to attach it to the back of your hood.

I realize none of this may apply, but it bears mentioning.

Steve
I just went in and checked this out and I can see bits of galvanized roofing reflecting on the lens. No problems behind me. Light gray t-shirts is what I always have on. I've recently been using the lightweight green capes. Far less annoying than welding sleeves. A bit darker material, but I will change it all to black and cover the top of the hood with something.
Miller 350P w/Python
Hypertherm Powermax65