Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Downwindtracker2
    Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:36 pm

I was trying to weld an 1" aluminum angle to a 1" square tube. Both 1/8". I coped out the tube so the angle would lay flat. I was able to weld the edges but the interior right angle looked like a "product of Fido's butt". What should I do next time.
Man of foolish pursuits
Millermatic 250x MIG
Magnum (Hugong) Wave 200KD ac/dc TIG
Liquid Air O/A torch
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

got a pic?
tweak it until it breaks
Downwindtracker2

No, my computer skills involve finding the keys when I type.

To get into the corners, I switched from a gas lens cup into the smaller orifice style that came with the welder. Basically I couldn't TIG weld a corner joint . It was my only piece of aluminum square tube, so I didn't get a do over. It was for an electric trolling motor mount that would fit in the launching wheel bracket on my tinny.
Man of foolish pursuits
Millermatic 250x MIG
Liquid Air O/A torch
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Without knowing specifics, I can say that inside corner (fillet welds) require more amps to get them to lay in right.

Get on the power and go for it - be bold :)
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Warrenh
    Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:31 pm

Extend your tungsten stick out and add gas. Maybe 25 or 30 cfh. You should have no problem then.

Sent from my moto g(6) (XT1925DL) using Tapatalk
Downwindtracker2

Thanks. I was talking last night with my son at my granddaughter's pre-school graduation, an excuse for a concert. He suggested sanding the aluminum. I have been using a SS wire cup on a mini grinder. What type of sanding discs would you suggest for the mini grinder?
Man of foolish pursuits
Millermatic 250x MIG
Liquid Air O/A torch