Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Johnboy1
    Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:33 am

Hi Fellas,

It's been a long time since I posted on here, so long I'd changed my email address and couldn't remember my password so had to register with a new user name (my old one was Johnboy)!

Anyway after saying all that why have I posted now you ask? Well I listen to the podcast every week and heard the guys say (tongue in cheek of course) that us Aussies don't use foot controls and I thought I'd take the bait and post saying YES we do :lol:

I've been tig welding for nearly 20 years now (sometimes part-time for a living and other times just on the side and for a hobby), but I've been using a foot control since my first 3 months or so welding. My main Kemppi machine doesn't even have a button on the torch, she's purely operated with the foot control. I did my #7 AS1796 test with a foot control many years ago, I love them, especially my Kemppi one (even though they're crazy expensive here) :o

So if you're from the Land Downunder and use a foot control let us all know with a post! :mrgreen:
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

That may have been me on the podcast you heard. I was only speaking for my company who had strictly controlled weld procedures for tig that didn't allow for the variation with a foot pedal. Therefore we've never had them. I can't speak for any one else
Johnboy1

Hi Mike,

Thanks for replying, I should have said I was listening to the latest Welding Tips and Tricks podcast :)

I know what you mean with your workplace not using foot controls due to strictly controlled procedures, it's best for some people and some jobs.

I worked at a place once years ago where the boss had never even seen a foot control before and didn't like it when I took mine in :roll:
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

I was once asked to pipe up a compressor rack in a factory. There was already a boilermaker there who fabbed up the base and was also doing the copper pipework.
I got out my dynasty with wireless peddle and preceded to do my thing. The foreman and the boilermaker, none of whom ever saw a peddle let alone wireless, stood nearby and watched. They worked out that my 26 flex head was somehow communicating with the peddle and told me later I had a very techy torch. I did not enlighten them.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'

My podcast was about a year and a half ago. But maybe I got jody and the other guys thinking about how we roll over here. Let's tell them we ride around in kangaroo pouches as well.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Coldman wrote:I was once asked to pipe up a compressor rack in a factory. There was already a boilermaker there who fabbed up the base and was also doing the copper pipework.
I got out my dynasty with wireless peddle and preceded to do my thing. The foreman and the boilermaker, none of whom ever saw a peddle let alone wireless, stood nearby and watched. They worked out that my 26 flex head was somehow communicating with the peddle and told me later I had a very techy torch. I did not enlighten them.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Sweet Jesus I would have run a line about the deal i struck with the devil! And I’m not even ausi!
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

double post
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Johnboy1

That's a classic Coldman, makes you wonder how some people get through life hey :?:

Hey Mike doesn't your roo have a foot control for increasing or decreasing hopping speed? The one I ride to work on does :mrgreen:

I prefer the pouch mounting dial controller, for super accuracy
VA-Sawyer
    Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:56 am

What's next, a picture of a roo saddle complete with instrument panel?
No sense dying with unused welding rod, so light 'em up!

Nope. We only use sadles for Emus and Cassowaries