Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
jamejone
    Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:03 am

I have just started with a Tig Welder so you can just imagine where my head is. Tig skill (LOW LOW). Can anyone tel me how long should the Tungston last. Not counting how many times the work piece jumps up to touch the tungston or when that stupid filler rod, on its own grabs hold of the tungston just to cause me to say #%%@#$^^&^%&^^&$#@$.

Thanks

James
James Jones
chairpilot
    Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:41 pm

jamejone wrote:I have just started with a Tig Welder so you can just imagine where my head is. Tig skill (LOW LOW). Can anyone tel me how long should the Tungston last. Not counting how many times the work piece jumps up to touch the tungston or when that stupid filler rod, on its own grabs hold of the tungston just to cause me to say #%%@#$^^&^%&^^&$#@$.

Thanks

James
Hi James,

Though I've been gas welding since I was 16 and MIG welding for the last 5 years, I'm pretty new to TIG too! I keep using my tungsons till I can't hold them to the grinder to sharpen anymore. So far no other negative issues besides those stupid filler rods reaching up and grabbing the tips (!$#%$%!).

Bob
brian
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:11 pm

A tungsten "could" last forever. Not likely though. It is not supposed to be consumed. A decent tig welders tungsten should last at least a year, minimum. But really theres no way to say its gonna last a given amount of time. There are too many variables. If your using one a week, or so. you should change your technique. maybe not so much stick out. Brian