Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Jared91
    Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:00 am

Im new to welding in general i have an esab multimaster 260 that ive been learning to stick weld with. I wanna start tig welding so i can do aluminum but i dont have a tig torch or know what would work for my machine anybody that could help me?
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

If you get hooked on TIG you will evolve to a 200 amp rated water cooled torch. These are based on the format created in the Heliarc Torches of the 1960s. Mine is Weldcraft 280 sold as OE with the Miller Dynasty 280 DX. CK & others have torches improved from mine, but similar.

You'll need a cooler, and flex tubing. Mine came as a set.

When my cooler came late, I learned sink water makes a good substitute for a cooler.

Steel melts at 2600 F. Aluminum melts at 1200F . Don't make the mistake of thinking aluminum needs less heat. Aluminum conducts heat at a fantastic rate. To weld aluminum, weld VERY fast, or introduce LOTS of heat. Either way, aluminum needs a welder WAY more powerful than steel.

Stainless steel conducts little heat. I'm amazed how little heat is needed to weld stainless.
Kevin_Holbrook
    Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:02 am

Jared91 wrote:Im new to welding in general i have an esab multimaster 260 that ive been learning to stick weld with. I wanna start tig welding so i can do aluminum but i dont have a tig torch or know what would work for my machine anybody that could help me?
i think your machine is dc only , you need ac for al.
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

Jared91 wrote:Im new to welding in general i have an esab multimaster 260 that ive been learning to stick weld with. I wanna start tig welding so i can do aluminum but i dont have a tig torch or know what would work for my machine anybody that could help me?
that looks like a mig machine with basic stick and tig added to it. looks like DC tig only so not suitable for aluminium.
you really need a separate AC/DC machine and foot pedal. the added bonus is it will come with the good features your machine does not have, like HF, up/down slope, ac balance etc.
things like water cooled torches all depends on how thick the aluminium is. you can use the much cheaper air cooled.
tweak it until it breaks