Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
AKTwelder
    Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:07 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to purchase an AC/DC TIG machine, which I will initially be using just for practice. I will be setting it up at the shop where I work, and the only options for power are 480v 3 phase, or regular 110v outlets. I want to use it to practice aluminum, so the 110v probably wont work well. Does anyone know of any AC/DC machines that are on the low or medium end of the price scale that can run on 480v 3 phase? I know I can get a Dynasty that will work, but thats a bit out of my budget right now, especially just for practice. Ive looked at the AHP AlphaTig 200, a few Everlast welders, but as far as I can tell they only run on 1 phase. Is my best bet a phase converter? Or just shell out for a higher end welder.

Thanks for the help.
Mac's Crew
    Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:02 pm

An electrician can drop a 220v outlet in for a small fee. That was option 1... others will have other options I'm sure. But if you can run 480 3 phase I would. Never have a problem with being under fed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I haven't built anything I can't throw away yet.
snoeproe
    Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:37 am

Most machines that are 3 phase powered are multi voltage. Most (not all) will run on 208- 600v 3 phase power. Some single phase, multi voltage powered welding machines can be wired to run on 2 legs of a 3 phase system which equates to single phase.
If your wanting to tig aluminum, forget about 120v powered welding machines.
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

AKTwelder wrote: Does anyone know of any AC/DC machines that are on the low or medium end of the price scale that can run on 480v 3 phase?
no.
i think your barking up the wrong tree. all 3 phase machines are commercial spec with a large price tag.
the other factor to keep in mind is what happens when you leave work. can you run it home?
i think your best bet is to get a single phase machine and get sparky to wire up a suitable outlet.
tweak it until it breaks
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

AKTwelder wrote:low or medium end of the price scale

Define "low" and "medium", numerically. Then we won't have to guess. :) I have a 1/3-Φ AC/DC TIG welder, but I don't have 3-Φ power at home, so I run it on a standard 240V 1-Φ outlet. Or even on my 1-Φ generator. :)
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

AKTwelder wrote:Or just shell out for a higher end welder.
Grab a Dynasty 210DX. It will run on 120v, 240v, 3-Phase, and you can wire it once (internally) and use a variety of plug ends (I make pigtails for power conversion) to keep at your disposal. Plug it in wherever you are, into whatever power you find.

You might be able to find a gently used unit and save $400-$500 bucks, but more than likely New is your only option. Even used, they sell for nearly new.

If you are really budget constrained, you can gamble on an older 200DX model. It too has all the power variety features and will likely be 50% of a new 210DX. No Warranty though...

cj737 wrote:
AKTwelder wrote:Or just shell out for a higher end welder.
Grab a Dynasty 210DX. It will run on 120v, 240v, 3-Phase, and you can wire it once (internally) and use a variety of plug ends (I make pigtails for power conversion) to keep at your disposal. Plug it in wherever you are, into whatever power you find.

You might be able to find a gently used unit and save $400-$500 bucks, but more than likely New is your only option. Even used, they sell for nearly new.

If you are really budget constrained, you can gamble on an older 200DX model. It too has all the power variety features and will likely be 50% of a new 210DX. No Warranty though...
The power supply in those has to cost an arm & a leg from what I hear. That's why these 1/3-Φ machines are soo expensive. No used ones on ebay, only new. A few 200dx's though.
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

The Lincoln aspect machines will handle that power input no sweat
Multimatic 255

Louie1961 wrote:The Lincoln aspect machines will handle that power input no sweat
Ah, yes! The new 230 is also a 1/3-Φ phase machine, and I really like the pulse spec's on it. 2,000 PPS on DC!
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

You will find various inverter machines work on single phase, or three phase. My Miller Dynasty 280DX will use 200 to 600 volts in single, or three phase. I'm sure other machines will also, I'm just not familiar.
TimB
    Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:16 pm

When I was hunting for my used machine, I found that relatively inexpensive (older) 3 Phase machines were common on craigslist. I presume because they are in relatively low demand in that type of market.
I would have written a shorter essay had I had more time.