Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Greybeard
    Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:09 pm

I've had a 180 Diversion for several years now and just experienced this the other day.
I had the machine up around 170 on 3/16" bright cleaned mild steel.
3/32 2% lanthanated, 8 cup, gas lens, 15-20 cfh.

Got about an inch welded and saw the tip balled.
Happened 2 or 3 times.

All the parameters seemed within the capabilities of everything...or not?
Got any ideas?
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

accidentally got it set on AC
poor quality tungsten
bad collet
tweak it until it breaks
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

did you accidently get to a-c? are you sure you're getting gas to the torch? are you at the I just had one tank give me a fit over shielding. Same supplier as other tanks that I ran just as low or lower.

A photo could help, is there dark smoke around the weld where this happened? I know you said it was clean, any chance there was a spot of contamination, maybe pulled in from the back side...
Richard
Website
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

I wouldn't expect Diversion to ball on DC. It is fixed at 72% Electrode Negative, preventing much tendency to ball even on AC, but it would at 170 amps.

Be sure you are on DC, use an 1/8" tungsten, any flavor but pure, and grind more crayon shaped than needle shaped.
Greybeard

Thanks guys!
No AC by accident. This machine sputters and fusses plenty enough when set wrong to wake up the soundest sleeper.

I'm sure everything was clean as I did the same procedure as I do for aluminum.
Even wiped the filler rod with acetone.

I'll try 1/8" tungsten & see how that works.
Thanks again!
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

I don't know what the sam hill happened before in my post but,,,,are you at the end of the argon tank? What is the distance between the tungsten and the work piece? Like LT said, a picture would help.
Greybeard

Tank's 3/4 full and has been good.
I'm going to pull the cover off the machine and check the gas line although I can hear and feel gas coming out so...

Could it be an electronic screw up?
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Or it could be something simple you overlooked. There are sooo many variables especially with tig. Perhaps the switch is faulty? Is it even a switch that changes it over from DC - AC? Is it a button? I'm not familiar with that machine.