Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
nova_70_383
    Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:51 pm

i am interested in the Miller 200dx machine. i am familiar with the dynasty machines because i use a dynasty 700 where i work. i want to get a 200dx for at home in my shop. i mosty will be doing aluminum repair/build up work. any fab work, aluminum and steel, will be 1/4" or less, wich the machine is rated for. i just want to know from some that have a 200dx how well the machine can handle being put the max. will the machine hold up to being run on the duty cycle? i know a dyasty 350 is a possiblity, although its a bit more then i have to spend. syncrowave 250, or a lincoln 275 could be another option if it would hold up better on repair/build up work. i also have used syncrowaves in the past at work so i know the differences between the inveter and transformer machines. i just want to do this one time, get the right machine that will last years to come. lets hear some opinions of what you think. thanks in advance.
pro mod steve
    Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:47 am

I have a 200dx and love it. From your post "doing aluminum mostly" I can forsee amperage limit situations with the 200 for you. When I was forum searching for my first tig I was always told you can't use amps you don't have. I guess the big question is how thick of a material am I going to weld present and future and can I take the loss of not getting a job because I don't have the right machine? This is no way a bashing just some thought from someone outside looking inside on your situation. Hope this helps.
nova_70_383
    Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:51 pm

exactly! some of the things i repair are boat props, motor cycle jugs, and side covers. i really would like to be able to get into larger things like car cylinder heads. i am sure the 200dx can do the things i listed, just am not sure about larger things like cyl heads. i think if it could, it would be tough on the machine. of course pre heating and helium are other options as well. they would cost alot less then going to a larger machine.
WEthePEOPLE
    Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:57 am

I am very new to welding and also interested in the 200dx. You mentioned helium, with the 200dx being rated to 3/16, how much could helium increase that? And what is the down side to going this route?
Mr. HTP

You might want to consider an HTP Invertig 221. It has 220 amps of power, and you can independantly adjust the EN- and EP+ amperage separately when you are welding AC. (Your Dynasty 700 has this feature)

http://www.usaweld.com/ProductDetails.a ... 70221-12.5

If you are going to be putting this machine in your home shop, you might want to look at your electrical panel to see if it can handle the load a Syncrowave 250 or a Lincoln 275 will put on it when running high amperages.

Running 100% helium or a Helium/Argon Mixture will certainly increase the maximum thickness you can weld - probably by at least 25% - but it all depends on the size of the piece and the type of the joint. The downside is the cost of an extra tank and having to change the gas.
Jeff Noland
HTP America, Inc.
1-800-USA-WELD
www.usaweld.com